Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemone and clownfish keepers, I am looking for some opinions.

I am planning ahead on a JBJ 30 Gallon Rimless (EDIT: it will now be a 45 as you will read down further). The display is 21.1 gallons, plus there will be about 20 lbs of live rock with a bare starboard bottom. In past aquariums I have kept Heteractis magnificent, Heteractis crispa and some random Atlantic anemones.

My original plan was that a Bubble Tipped Anemone (Entacmaea quadricolor) would likely be the only sized clown hosting anemone that would work in that small of an aquarium. After introducing the anemone I would then add two Amphiprion ocellaris which get to be about 3” tops. Although I have seen these species work together I must say it bugs me that the BTA is not a natural host for these clowns.

Here are the options I am considering with the pros and cons:

OPTION 1: As stated above, one Entacmaea quadricolor and two Amphiprion ocellaris
PRO: all species should “fit” in a 21 gallon display
CON: the anemone is not the natural host for these clowns

OPTION 2: one Heteractis magnificent with two Amphiprion ocellaris
PRO: natural host for the clowns and I am familiar with and enjoy the anemone species
CON: the H. magnificent will probably get too large for this display

OPTION 3: one Entacmaea quadricolor with two Amphiprion clarkii
PRO: I love Clarkii’s and the BTA is a natural host
CON: Clarkiis can grow to 6” which I feel may be too large for my display

Please share your opinions on these options. Thanks!

Last edited:

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemone and clownfish keepers, I am looking for some opinions.

I am planning ahead on a JBJ 30 Gallon Rimless. The display is 21.1 gallons, plus there will be about 20 lbs of live rock with a bare starboard bottom. In past aquariums I have kept Heteractis magnificent, Heteractis crispa and some random Atlantic anemones.

My original plan was that a Bubble Tipped Anemone (Entacmaea quadricolor) would likely be the only sized clown hosting anemone that would work in that small of an aquarium. After introducing the anemone I would then add two Amphiprion ocellaris which get to be about 3” tops. Although I have seen these species work together I must say it bugs me that the BTA is not a natural host for these clowns.

Here are the options I am considering with the pros and cons:

OPTION 1: As stated above, one Entacmaea quadricolor and two Amphiprion ocellaris
PRO: all species should “fit” in a 21 gallon display
CON: the anemone is not the natural host for these clowns

OPTION 2: one Heteractis magnificent with two Amphiprion ocellaris
PRO: natural host for the clowns and I am familiar with and enjoy the anemone species
CON: the H. magnificent will probably get too large for this display

OPTION 3: one Entacmaea quadricolor with two Amphiprion clarkii
PRO: I love Clarkii’s and the BTA is a natural host
CON: Clarkiis can grow to 6” which I feel may be too large for my display

Please share your opinions on these options. Thanks!
20 plus gallon is perfect for a pair of clownfish. I'm my experience I've owned many clownfish but always leaned toward perculas either wild or TR, and always host a BTA in my tank. Hope that helps.

Mkus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have a wild caught percula I bought the fish when it was the size of my pinky nail..
And a rock I have that’s covered with hairy mushrooms is now hosted by the clown so you never know what clowns will accept as a host.
My clowns now 10 yo
D8359A08-745F-47C7-A8EF-F77283B66829.png
1726CF07-2F39-451A-92D4-68EAEE3F62C0.png

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 plus gallon is perfect for a pair of clownfish. I'm my experience I've owned many clownfish but always leaned toward perculas either wild or TR, and always host a BTA in my tank. Hope that helps.

Thanks! All opinions help!

Well I have a wild caught percula I bought the fish when it was the size of my pinky nail..
And a rock I have that’s covered with hairy mushrooms is now hosted by the clown so you never know what clowns will accept as a host.
My clowns now 10 yo
D8359A08-745F-47C7-A8EF-F77283B66829.png
1726CF07-2F39-451A-92D4-68EAEE3F62C0.png

Very true. Certainly no guaranties for any of the options.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you're super confident you can read and react to what an Anemone is telling you in a tank that size I would be weary. You would have to do your rockwork in a way specifically designed for having only the nem and that's pretty much it. The only other option you may consider would be a M. doreensis and a pair of Perculas. Even that would be really sketchy, just avoid direct feeding as much as possible so it doesn't baloon into a monster and you might get away with that.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you're super confident you can read and react to what an Anemone is telling you in a tank that size I would be weary. You would have to do your rockwork in a way specifically designed for having only the nem and that's pretty much it. The only other option you may consider would be a M. doreensis and a pair of Perculas. Even that would be really sketchy, just avoid direct feeding as much as possible so it doesn't baloon into a monster and you might get away with that.

Thanks. I feel I can make it work, but it will be a challenge. The display water volume dimensions are roughly 23” L x 15” W x 15” H. The rockscape will be minimalistic. Really only an Entacmaea quadricolor would be possible with no sand at that size. It would be the centerpiece inhabitant. I would probably go with Ocellaris as well. They are beautiful fish and Clarkiis are just too large at full size. If the clowns do not host, I would delight in an anemone crab or shrimp.

I wanted to offer the other options I considered along the way in my planning to show my thought process. Everyone posting is helping me think about it.

BTW, @Amoo in all manner of respect, and only six months on this site, I would love to see updates to your build threads :)

Last edited:

Mkus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the younger the clowns the better I knew a guy who bred clowns and he had small bubble tip anemone in the tank and those tiny little clowns were in that anemone!
It was very cool to see them all in it

Mkus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And my clown I’ve had 10 years is under 2” inches perfect for my 24 gal tank

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would hold out until you find the pair of clowns that you really love. The biggest difference is that the Clarkii bite hurts so much more than the Perculas. lol

Kidding aside, maybe look for some beautiful designer clowns? There are Oscellaris that look like Clarkii's. But the two stripe Clarkii's are so so sexy.

Regardless of the type of fish, even if you pair with a BTA, they would eventually host in such a small space.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I feel I can make it work, but it will be a challenge. The display water volume dimensions are roughly 23” L x 15” W x 15” H. The rockscape will be minimalistic. Really only an Entacmaea quadricolor would be possible with no sand at that size. It would be the centerpiece inhabitant. I would probably go with Ocellaris as well. They are beautiful fish and Clarkiis are just too large at full size. If the clowns do not host, I would delight in an anemone crab or shrimp.

I wanted to offer the other options I considered along the way in my planning to show my thought process. Everyone posting is helping me think about it.

BTW, @Amoo in all manner of respect, and only six months on this site, I would love to see updates to your build threads :)

I actually have that exact tank and it's sitting outside right now collecting rain water as I replaced it with the Greener Pastures build tank.

I think a E.Quad should be fine in it, for an experienced Nem keeper. 2 things I would consider:

1. Add your internal water mover (if you add one) after the nem has settled and be on standby for about the first 2 hours after lights out that first night. Like check super often.

2. Make sure you've got the rockscape space in case of a nem split.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update here, I will have a 45 gallon aquarium now (replacement for the cracked 30) so I feel much better about adding an E. quadricolor. The display has almost 50% more volume at 30 gallons, 25 3/4” x 15 7/8” x 17” (internal glass to glass and accounting for water level).

I am actually considering Clarkiis may work with the additional size, although 6” adult is pretty big for two. I would purchase them small. My plan would be after a long maturing process, add the BTA first and then the clownfish.

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice size tank for them. I found they always made a mess with sand.

Have you decided which type to get? Ohh those two band or Red Sea variety are so beautiful. And very inexpensive for you lucky Americans.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I will go with the E. quadricolor. I loved my H. magnifica, but even the 55 gallon standard I had it in seemed small. I would prefer a natural host, but I may just let my kids pick the Clownfish species if I am still indecisive. I will probably go with Clarkiis. The tank will be bare bottom.

My general plan is to be patient and find a nice cool colored anemone. By cool I mean on the green, purple end. Ideally something closer to blue with a dark base. I want to create a stunning contrast with the Clownfish, blue/orange, purple/yellow.

nagreen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any update on this build? is it a species specific tank? as in just the clowns / anemone?
sounds awesome

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any update on this build? is it a species specific tank? as in just the clowns / anemone?
sounds awesome

My build thread is in my signature and here
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/i-received-a-box-of-rocks-today.335926/

The first post in that thread has a table of contents if you want to get right to the anemone part. I went with an Entacmaea quadricolor with one Amphiprion ocellaris. It was not a natural host for the clown and so far the clown has ignored it as I pretty much expected. I just felt a Clarkii or a Spotcinctus would get too large and agressive in this small tank. The tank I ended up with is a JBJ 45 Flat Panel. Thanks for your interest!

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 50.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.5%
Back