Pairing a Ocellaris Clownfish with a Percula

MJ59HK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys, just wanting some advice to go about pairing an Ocellaris Clownfish with a Percula. So I used to have a pair of Ocellaris Clownfish until one day the female jumped while I was changing water. I didn't know about it until the next day. It is about 3-4cm long and at the moment it is hosting a bubble tip anemone. He is in the main display tank with other fish. Now I am in possession of a larger Percula Clownfish about 5-6cm long. She is in a quarantine tank by herself. I would like some recommendations to how best I can pair the two together. Do I chuck the female Percula into the main tank with the male Ocellaris, and let them sort themselves out? Or put the female in an acclimation box and let them get used to each other before letting them have physical contact? Any advice will be really appreciated. Thank you.

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry to hear about your female clown jumping tank. Thants always a heart breaker.
As for pairing the other two fish, how long has the Ocellaris been without the previous female? Introducing a larger clown to an already single “male” could be problematic if that male has already begone the process of transitioning to female while he has been alone.

OP
OP
M

MJ59HK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry to hear about your female clown jumping tank. Thants always a heart breaker.
As for pairing the other two fish, how long has the Ocellaris been without the previous female? Introducing a larger clown to an already single “male” could be problematic if that male has already begone the process of transitioning to female while he has been alone.
The incident happened some 12 months ago I think. He has been alone since and started hosting the anemone a few months back around earl January this year.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi Guys, just wanting some advice to go about pairing an Ocellaris Clownfish with a Percula. So I used to have a pair of Ocellaris Clownfish until one day the female jumped while I was changing water. I didn't know about it until the next day. It is about 3-4cm long and at the moment it is hosting a bubble tip anemone. He is in the main display tank with other fish. Now I am in possession of a larger Percula Clownfish about 5-6cm long. She is in a quarantine tank by herself. I would like some recommendations to how best I can pair the two together. Do I chuck the female Percula into the main tank with the male Ocellaris, and let them sort themselves out? Or put the female in an acclimation box and let them get used to each other before letting them have physical contact? Any advice will be really appreciated. Thank you.
Start with an acclimation box so they get acquainted without any aggression and after 7-10 days observe behviors

OP
OP
M

MJ59HK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with an acclimation box so they get acquainted without any aggression and after 7-10 days observe behviors
So do I put the female in the acclimation box or the male noting that the female will be new to the tank?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So do I put the female in the acclimation box or the male noting that the female will be new to the tank?
The new clown. In Essense, you can then release the new fish afterwards and if female causes issues, place her in acclimation box for a time out

ChrisPPolys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new clown. In Essense, you can then release the new fish afterwards and if female causes issues, place her in acclimation box for a time out
I was under the impression that two different species (Percula vs Ocellaris) of clownfish can not pair up. Is that not true?
I can’t tell if Op is trying to breed the clownfish or if he’s just trying to keep the clownfish in the same tank.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I was under the impression that two different species (Percula vs Ocellaris) of clownfish can not pair up. Is that not true?
I can’t tell if Op is trying to breed the clownfish or if he’s just trying to keep the clownfish in the same tank.
I have three different types in my tank with total of 11 and three are breeder pairs )Percula, ocellaris and snowflake)

OP
OP
M

MJ59HK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I am not trying to breed the clownfish (not at this stage anyway).

ChrisPPolys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three different types in my tank with total of 11 and three are breeder pairs )Percula, ocellaris and snowflake)
Reading more into it now, I’m not sure why I thought you couldn’t breed different types (percula vs Ocellaris) thanks for the clarification.

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The incident happened some 12 months ago I think. He has been alone since and started hosting the anemone a few months back around earl January this year.
If it’s been 12 months I’d suggest getting a small male to try to pair. At this point your clown could have already transitioned to female and you’d be introducing two females together.

OP
OP
M

MJ59HK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s been 12 months I’d suggest getting a small male to try to pair. At this point your clown could have already transitioned to female and you’d be introducing two females together.
Does it matter if they are both female? They would try and assert dominance over one another, and eventually one will submit and change back to male. That's my understanding.

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it matter if they are both female? They would try and assert dominance over one another, and eventually one will submit and change back to male. That's my understanding.
Clowns can not go back. Your current clown is most likely a she already. You will want to get a much smaller clown than the one you have now so that it is sexless or male.

OP
OP
M

MJ59HK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns can not go back. Your current clown is most likely a she already. You will want to get a much smaller clown than the one you have now so that it is sexless or male.
Thanks. I will give it a try to pair the two using the method suggested by Vetteguy53081 and see how I go with it. As long as they not constantly harassing one another I am happy. I am not trying to pair them for breeding. Cheers everyone for your advice. Much appreciated.

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vetteguy said you can pair different species of clown. The timeout for the female thing only works when she is being overly aggressive to a new male. if it is 2 female clowns fighting no amount of time outs will stop them.

From what I read online males will change to female rather quickly after losing their female. A year alone should guarantee your original is female.

Edit: Sorry I forgot that you had already picked up a new female. Hopefully someone with real experience can advise you better than me but this is what I see.

OP
OP
M

MJ59HK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vetteguy said you can pair different species of clown. The timeout for the female thing only works when she is being overly aggressive to a new male. if it is 2 female clowns fighting no amount of time outs will stop them.

From what I read online males will change to female rather quickly after losing their female. A year alone should guarantee your original is female.

Edit: Sorry I forgot that you had already picked up a new female. Hopefully someone with real experience can advise you better than me but this is what I see.
Thanks Schulks. Appreciate your feedback. I will try pairing them anyway and see how I go. If it doesn't work out, then I will give away one of them.

OP
OP
M

MJ59HK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys just an update. So Sunday morning I put the new clownfish (which is the larger of the two) into an acclimation box in the main tank together with the other fish including the existing clownfish (the smaller of the two). For the first hour or so, the smaller clownfish stayed away from the acclimation box. Then he started swimming closer and closer to the acclimation box. Initially only staying there momentarily. The larger clownfish initially wanted to attack the smaller one. After awhile the aggression went away. For the next couple of days the smaller clownfish hanged around near the acclimation box during the day and went back to his anemone at night. So this afternoon I decided to take the lid off the acclimation box to release the new clownfish and the smaller clownfish went inside the acclimation box but the larger one swam out while the smaller one got stuck inside for a little bit. The smaller one eventually worked how to get out of the acclimation box and went to swim with the larger clownfish. The larger one was a bit anxious I think as it was a new environment for him. But there was no aggression between the two. The smaller one stayed with the larger one wherever he goes. After that they swam together but occasionally the smaller one would dart towards the larger clownfish (but not at it) - see the first video. The lights just turned off and now they in an anemone together - see second video. After I took the second video I saw the larger clownfish trying to push the smaller out of the anemone. I am really stoked about this. I was expecting to have to catch one them and put it back into the acclimation box several times. I am not sure if they have paired but at least there is no aggression between the two. I am really happy. Thank you guys for your advice.

Attachments

• 20240312_162716.mp4
    12.7 MB
  • 20240312_212130.mp4
    10.2 MB

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys just an update. So Sunday morning I put the new clownfish (which is the larger of the two) into an acclimation box in the main tank together with the other fish including the existing clownfish (the smaller of the two). For the first hour or so, the smaller clownfish stayed away from the acclimation box. Then he started swimming closer and closer to the acclimation box. Initially only staying there momentarily. The larger clownfish initially wanted to attack the smaller one. After awhile the aggression went away. For the next couple of days the smaller clownfish hanged around near the acclimation box during the day and went back to his anemone at night. So this afternoon I decided to take the lid off the acclimation box to release the new clownfish and the smaller clownfish went inside the acclimation box but the larger one swam out while the smaller one got stuck inside for a little bit. The smaller one eventually worked how to get out of the acclimation box and went to swim with the larger clownfish. The larger one was a bit anxious I think as it was a new environment for him. But there was no aggression between the two. The smaller one stayed with the larger one wherever he goes. After that they swam together but occasionally the smaller one would dart towards the larger clownfish (but not at it) - see the first video. The lights just turned off and now they in an anemone together - see second video. After I took the second video I saw the larger clownfish trying to push the smaller out of the anemone. I am really stoked about this. I was expecting to have to catch one them and put it back into the acclimation box several times. I am not sure if they have paired but at least there is no aggression between the two. I am really happy. Thank you guys for your advice.
Awesome man. I'm happy for you. I'd just watch and see if things go sour at some point. Maybe your old one is still transitioning or something. Please update us in a month or so :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back