Anemone compatibility?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 2, 2019
Messages
4,660
Reaction score
5,761
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I am wondering if a rock flower anemone and a sand anemone will sting each other? I ask because a couple of sand nems are getting uncomfortably close to my rock flowers.

I've been told once before that the sand nems are a type of rock flower (I was never able to confirm this) which may mean that they won't hurt each other? They are similiar except the sand nems are much stickier (all over, not just the tentacles) and they reproduce differently. So far everyone is fine except the red rock flower has backed away from the baby sand nem slightly.

Heres some pics. Last pic is just to show what a fully grown sand nem looks like.

20200704_150319_HDR.jpg
20200704_150818_HDR.jpg
Screenshot_20200630-201639.png


20200704_150319_HDR.jpg 20200704_150818_HDR.jpg Screenshot_20200630-201639.png
 
Wow I've never seen a sand nem thanks for sharing. That being said I have many nems. Rock, carpet, minimaxi, rbt, and lta in my tank. The nice thing is that anemone can move if something is irritating them. Ime I've always just let them go and watched for aggressive behavior and damage. Idk about sand nems but rocks burrow their foot deep and will be a huge pain to move unless it wants to so unless there's tentacle damage or you see one trying to engulf the other I'd let them sort it out naturally. That's just me but ime if one doesn't like the other close by it will generally move over a bit.
 
On a side note I've found that my minimaxi and rocks were ok with minimal contact.
 
Wow I've never seen a sand nem thanks for sharing. That being said I have many nems. Rock, carpet, minimaxi, rbt, and lta in my tank. The nice thing is that anemone can move if something is irritating them. Ime I've always just let them go and watched for aggressive behavior and damage. Idk about sand nems but rocks burrow their foot deep and will be a huge pain to move unless it wants to so unless there's tentacle damage or you see one trying to engulf the other I'd let them sort it out naturally. That's just me but ime if one doesn't like the other close by it will generally move over a bit.

Good call, your definitely right that one should move if its being bothered, im not sure why I didnt think about that!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new