Anemone Crab Molting Question

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had an anemone crab for about 4 months now and he's done very well. He molted recently (I found the proof) but he still hasn't come out of hiding. It's been 4 days. My other crabs did not hide more than 1 or 2 days after molting. Is this the norm, or did something happen and I may have lost him?

anemoneanatomy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While crab shells are regrown within a few days after a molt, it takes them 2-4 weeks to fully harden. It could be that your crab feels it is under threat and is just being cautious. It could also be that something happened to it during the molt. Time will tell.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While crab shells are regrown within a few days after a molt, it takes them 2-4 weeks to fully harden. It could be that your crab feels it is under threat and is just being cautious. It could also be that something happened to it during the molt. Time will tell.
Just seemed strange since my other crabs never hid that long. But he is on the shy side and sticks right by his nem. It took him a few weeks to venture a few inches away from the nem for better chance at catching food.

Jonas Bergkvist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just seemed strange since my other crabs never hid that long. But he is on the shy side and sticks right by his nem. It took him a few weeks to venture a few inches away from the nem for better chance at catching food.
I got two porcelain crabs two weeks ago, and one of them molted today. I also found the proof :) i posted my finding here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-is-what-a-porcelain-crab-molt-look-like.835942/#post-9037264

My crab who molted is located just under my Bubble Tip. I haven't had them for long so i just thought they would always stick to the anemone at all times? It would makes sense that sometimes the would go out to get food but i haven't seen them do that yet. From what i've seen they just live in the anemone and filter out what they can get from the water column. It would be really cool to see any of them go find some food outside the anemone.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got two porcelain crabs two weeks ago, and one of them molted today. I also found the proof :) i posted my finding here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-is-what-a-porcelain-crab-molt-look-like.835942/#post-9037264

My crab who molted is located just under my Bubble Tip. I haven't had them for long so i just thought they would always stick to the anemone at all times? It would makes sense that sometimes the would go out to get food but i haven't seen them do that yet. From what i've seen they just live in the anemone and filter out what they can get from the water column. It would be really cool to see any of them go find some food outside the anemone.
My guy never showed back up, so I assume something happened during molting. Such a bummer as he was a cool critter.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 35 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back