Anemone down drainpipe

Myxini

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

New to Reef2Reef but been keeping aquariums at home and professionally for over 20 years. I have a 50 gallon SCA tank that I am now starting to stock. About a week ago, I added a BTA to the tank. It’s been wandering (I know this is normal), but with good coloration and inflated tissues. Today, I heard water going down the emergency drain pipe and after checking everything out, the BTA popped out of my main drain and onto the plate that holds the filter socks. I’m a little perplexed as to how this happened. The slots on the overflow weir are about ⅛” wide. I don’t think there is other access to the drain pipe that is any wider than this. Can anemones squeeze through a slot this thin? Or do I need to breakdown my aquascape looking for a bigger hole? Thanks in advance for any advice or info you can offer.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef... :)
yes possible for a large nem to squeeze through 1/8" slot ,no problem.
sounds like a safe recovery ,good to hear.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
any damage to nem ? stick a small chunk of rock in or laying into for it to climb on to.
prefferably one with a nitch/hole that will settle in.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones when deflated is really just a pipe of "snot-like" tissue. Like what's in your tissue paper blowing your nose during a cold.... a slimy snot ball

OP
OP
M

Myxini

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any damage to nem ? stick a small chunk of rock in or laying into for it to climb on to.
prefferably one with a nitch/hole that will settle in.
The only issue the anemone has was a bunch of air stuck inside what I assume was it’s gastrovascular cavity from the bubbles coming down the drain pipe with it. I carefully aspirated each bubble with a fine, sterile needle and then put it into a floating container to recover without being blown around the tank. It was expanded and attached to the container this morning. I saw your suggestion about a rock with a crevice and some rubble on another thread for wandering anemones and put some rocks in with it and sunk the container down onto the aquascape. This far, the strawberry container has been deemed a superior home.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back