Anemone Help

jmmicho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read countless threads on here from over the years, and for some reason it seems as though none specifically hit on the problem I have. I am currently on my second RBTA in my tank. Its a 20 gallon waterbox, with a Reef AI Prime 16. That being said I know I have enough light, flow, and my water parameters are overall stable. The nitrate may be a little high, but that is easily solvable with a water change. I want to keep one of these nems for my pair of maroon clowns. The problem I keep running into is that the nem will find a spot it likes, and then slowly get worse. My male clown takes to it instantly and is trying to swim in it and have his fun. The first one died pretty quickly and the consensus I came to was that it was too small for my clowns. So i waited about 2 months until my local fish store sold me a very big one (6-8in). I was a little stressed with how much work it took them to get it out of their display tank. I brought it home and it quickly found a nice area to set up. Not before my female maroon pulled it off the rock along with a few tentacles. As of now, the foot and body look great, colors are still good. But the beautiful tentacles and bubbles it had in the store are gone. ( its about 4 days now). Anyone know what I can do to help? Besides the fact that it was $200 I hate that I keep struggling with these beautiful creatures. I used a net to cover it for the first couple days to prevent the clowns from bothering it too much which seemed to work. The first photo was the second day after the store. The 2nd photo was yesterday. Thanks so much for your expertise!

IMG_8095.PNG IMG_8086.jpg

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'll give this a shot...what seems to work for me anyway.

So, my 1st is temp? What is the temperature of your tank. This is a silly question most of the time, but I really find that Bubble tips like warmer tank temps. I keep my LPS tank at 79 to 80. I seems high, but when I drop the temp they hate it and close up. So, I keep it high ish.

Feeding. Some people never feed Bubble tips. My Bubbles like food. I make my own food. I bought shrimp, mussels, clams, white fish, shrimp, etc and combined it and then froze it. I then take a shape knife once or twice a week and feed them. They love it.

Does the tank have too much light? When I see Bubble tips on the bottom I worry about too much lighting. Any clue how much PAR you are running? I like to run my LPS tank with about 80ish PAR on the bottom. I have Red Sea lights and run them at 55% or so.

So, what is your temperature and where are your lights at?

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I don't know a whole lot but RBTAs will go where they want ! With mine they seem to move constantly rock to rock.
Imo you have clowns that wanna go in it and that is the hardest part, it took me a very long time for mine to do that.
I would just give it time and it will move to a spot it likes and probably move to another spot and the clowns will find it.
Sometimes to give it a little push just put a powerhead facing it....gently " pushing" it and it will move.
Hopefully not to the back of the tank like mime did but with patience it moved to the front.
Bottom line is they will go where they wanna go.
I had that 1 for years and last summer it split so many times and the splits split now I have so many the clowns love it. Me not so much lol
Bottom line is just be patient and it should work out but it may take many many months lol

Attachments

• 1707870037718505307402665810932.jpg
    1707870037718505307402665810932.jpg
    353.2 KB · Views: 43

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the clowns in the sump for a week and let it get established and comfortable to the new parameters in the environment. When it starts extending, put the clowns back. Once everyone settles down together the clowns should help the nem stay healthy, but the introduction period can be deadly if the clowns behave like you described. GL

OP
OP
J

jmmicho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'll give this a shot...what seems to work for me anyway.

So, my 1st is temp? What is the temperature of your tank. This is a silly question most of the time, but I really find that Bubble tips like warmer tank temps. I keep my LPS tank at 79 to 80. I seems high, but when I drop the temp they hate it and close up. So, I keep it high ish.

Feeding. Some people never feed Bubble tips. My Bubbles like food. I make my own food. I bought shrimp, mussels, clams, white fish, shrimp, etc and combined it and then froze it. I then take a shape knife once or twice a week and feed them. They love it.

Does the tank have too much light? When I see Bubble tips on the bottom I worry about too much lighting. Any clue how much PAR you are running? I like to run my LPS tank with about 80ish PAR on the bottom. I have Red Sea lights and run them at 55% or so.

So, what is your temperature and where are your lights at?
Well, my heater is set to 78, and it runs pretty much spot on that. As far as feeding, I was planning on doing once a week or so considering most threads I read say they get most from the light. Plus its been added recently / partially closed up that It can't really be fed.

I don't know what the par is, but my prime is running at

UV - 100%
Violet - 100%
Royal - 80%
Blue - 80%
Green/Red - 10%
Cool White - 60%

From charts i've read that's about 60% its capacity.

OP
OP
J

jmmicho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I don't know a whole lot but RBTAs will go where they want ! With mine they seem to move constantly rock to rock.
Imo you have clowns that wanna go in it and that is the hardest part, it took me a very long time for mine to do that.
I would just give it time and it will move to a spot it likes and probably move to another spot and the clowns will find it.
Sometimes to give it a little push just put a powerhead facing it....gently " pushing" it and it will move.
Hopefully not to the back of the tank like mime did but with patience it moved to the front.
Bottom line is they will go where they wanna go.
I had that 1 for years and last summer it split so many times and the splits split now I have so many the clowns love it. Me not so much lol
Bottom line is just be patient and it should work out but it may take many many months lol
Thanks - I just need it to survive first :/ That's my biggest concern.

OP
OP
J

jmmicho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the clowns in the sump for a week and let it get established and comfortable to the new parameters in the environment. When it starts extending, put the clowns back. Once everyone settles down together the clowns should help the nem stay healthy, but the introduction period can be deadly if the clowns behave like you described. GL
That's what I thought. I don't have a sump or another tank right now. I took the large female out for a couple hours in a bucket to let it get attached somewhere but couldn't leave her out that long. I could put the net back over it and that should help for a while. I just fear that it will shade to more than it wants

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back