Something mysterious is eating anemones and hammer corals.

kylebr0die

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been having a bit of a mystery in my tank lately. I bought a really nice bubble tip anemone a few months ago. It was medium size Id say. Maybe 4-5 inches across? Def big enough for clowns to host in it.

It seemed to be doing fine but a few days in I started noticing pieces of its tentacles in the tank. I assumed that maybe they just loose their tentacles every so often? Idk what I thought tbh. Anyway over the next few weeks I started noticing more and more of its tentacles were missing. Until eventually it was just a disk without anymore tentacles. It eventually died. I assumed I was just a really bad reefer and figured I won’t be getting an anemone again.

Now I’m not so sure. I recently got a nice hammer coral and it was super healthy. Again, over time I started noticing its tentacles are going missing until now it’s just a mouth on a branch.

Clearly something in my tank likes eating tentacles. My immediate thought it was my flame angel. But I’ve NEVER seen him pick at either of these types of things. He does pick at sps all the time.

I also thought it could be an emerald crab or a blue legged hermit. I feel like that’s grasping at straws a bit.

Anyway, I’ve never seen anything pick at the hammer or the anemone when I had it. Whoever it is, is a STEALTHY SOB.

Here’s what I have in the tank:

Powder blue, yellow tang, blue tang. Two banggai cardinals, 4 green chromis, flame angel, leopard wrasse, six line wrasse, springer damsel.

I have some inverts like snails, conch, cleaner shrimp, emeral crabs, blue legged hermits.

I’ve got acros, montis, Xenia, goniopora, Zoas, chalices, and Yuma shrooms. Nothing seems to be eating any of these except the flame angel picks at the acros and montis.

What do you guys think? Who is the most likely culprit? Do flame angels take down 5 inch nems?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting something to record while out of the room might be a good idea.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder if it's a euphyllia eating flatworm?

I lost about 10 different euphyllia over the course of a year, never figured it out as all my other corals were thriving. Once all the euphyllia were gone, I saw this beat on the glass one morning.

20191121_032332.jpg

For size reference, thats an MP10 dryside.

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder if it's a euphyllia eating flatworm?

I lost about 10 different euphyllia over the course of a year, never figured it out as all my other corals were thriving. Once all the euphyllia were gone, I saw this beat on the glass one morning.

20191121_032332.jpg

For size reference, thats an MP10 dryside.
Did you remove it

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back