Beginner reefer. Is this good stocking?

HaiFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a basic 10 gallon tank (Not cube) and I have been letting my tank run for about a month. I am aware of the time that it takes to add specific things, so keep that in mind but just imagine, 3 years from now, I have all this in my tank. Would it work for a beginner? Should I take things off or add stuff? Should I keep things in mind? Would they all get along?

Animals:
-Cleaner shrimp
-two Ocellaris clowns
-One neon goby
-red leg hermit
-blue leg hermit
-emerald crab

Anemone:
-Rock flower
-Mini-Maxi anemone

Coral:
-Toadstool/leather coral (on exposed rock in the middle of the tank) (No feed)
-Zoa coral
-GSP
-Finger Coral
-Duncan coral
-Hammer coral
-xenia coral

Last edited:

Lineatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pair of clowns would likely kill any other tank mates in a tank that small. I’d stick to just the pair. Serpent star would be too big for this tank imo (unless you’re meaning micro brittle stars). Everything else looks fine

OP
OP
HaiFish

HaiFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pair of clowns would likely kill any other tank mates in a tank that small. I’d stick to just the pair. Serpent star would be too big for this tank imo (unless you’re meaning micro brittle stars). Everything else looks fine
Here is what I read: Most species of Clownfish are great for nano-aquariums as they stay small in size, they occupy a very small territory of your aquarium and they remain peaceful. Nano tanks of about 8 to 10 gallons are on the small end for the Ocellaris Clownfish but the fish will still do quite well in a tank that size.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dartfish will want a lot more space than a 10 gallon, the chromis will probably kill each other until there’s one left, that will want more space.

2 clowns might be OK depending on filtration - once they find a home they’ll probably hunker down in a corner somewhere.

1 neon goby is OK. Clowns may or may not tolerate it’s existence in a tank that small depending on if it can find territory away from where they claim.

OP
OP
HaiFish

HaiFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dartfish will want a lot more space than a 10 gallon, the chromis will probably kill each other until there’s one left, that will want more space.

2 clowns might be OK depending on filtration - once they find a home they’ll probably hunker down in a corner somewhere.

1 neon goby is OK. Clowns may or may not tolerate it’s existence in a tank that small depending on if it can find territory away from where they claim.
Would it be better if i just had 1 clown?

OP
OP
HaiFish

HaiFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown uses the entirety of my 20 gallon. A pair is definitely stocked in a 10 gallon. And I disagree with that statement, clowns can be amazingly aggressive for their size especially in a small tank.

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can probably do 2 ocellaris but I'd make those your only 2 fish. I think a serpent star is fine in that size tank as well. They really shove themselves under the rockwork most of the time and come out during feedings.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%

Back