Anemone in powerhead

Shluffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased an anemone yesterday. This morning, it was securely attached to a piece of rock. Walked into the living room, and he got caught in the powerhead.
  • Anemone is significantly torn up. Looks like all his tentacles are gone
  • Skimmer foamed over, sump has a significant amount of foam on the surface
  • Fish do not look stressed,
I pulled the power head from the tank, and dropped what is left of the anemone in a bucket. I set the skimmer to skim wet, and plan to top off the SW as the water gets skimmed out.

Three questions:
1) Is there anything more I need to do for the tank? a large waterchange would be possible, but would not be ideal
2) Is there any hope for a torn up anemone? If yes, do I put him in a separate section of my sump, or does he need to stay completely out of my tank?
3) Not an immediate question - How do I prevent this? He was firmly lodged on a rock this morning, and seemed fine last night. I'm confident he would have done well if he didn't have the run in withthe powerhead.

Thanks in advance for the help

urban coral farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Common mistake but even when a nem looks happy its guaranteed to move even when they have an established spot for years they will sometimes move.
Always always always cover powerheads!

Do a water change test to make sure tank is stable for a few days then try again.

OP
OP
S

Shluffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll get a water change going. 280 gallon tank. What percentage do I need? 20% is painful.

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t get rid of the Nem I had one do the same last year he disappeared 2 weeks later pop ups on the top of my rocks stood there for months took about 4-5 months to fully recover I didn’t feed it neither recovered on its own, but do get your Powerheads cover if you can.

Edit: the thing was destroyed no tentacles and it bleached looked like a lil piece of blob

urban coral farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t get rid of the Nem I had one do the same last year he disappeared 2 weeks later pop ups on the top of my rocks stood there for months took about 4-5 months to fully recover I didn’t feed it neither recovered on its own, but do get your Powerheads cover if you can
Depends if the the mouth and foot are ok if they are damaged get rid of it so it doesnt nuke your tank. 60 bucks for a new bubble tip is cheaper than a whole new stocking list just saying.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely would not recommend getting rid of the nem, just keep an eye on it. They can come back, and sometimes they end up splitting from the trauma. Other times they die. A 10% water change really won't do much, if you are concerned about the pieces of the nem getting blown in the tank then I would try to siphon out as much as you can and replace that amount. If water starts getting cloudy then I would do a very large water change.

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends if the the mouth and foot are ok if they are damaged get rid of it so it doesnt nuke your tank. 60 bucks for a new bubble tip is cheaper than a whole new stocking list just saying.

These creatures are more resilient than we think, my neighbors sold his bta he brutally tried to detach it and frustrated ripped it in half the dude still took it cheaper of course, both half’s made it a few months later like nothing happened both were hosted by maroons during that time as well. If it’s attached it has a fighting chance but of course that’s just your choice. I would def do a water change and run some fresh carbon clean up the water a bit

redpine42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely would not recommend getting rid of the nem, just keep an eye on it. They can come back, and sometimes they end up splitting from the trauma. Other times they die. A 10% water change really won't do much, if you are concerned about the pieces of the nem getting blown in the tank then I would try to siphon out as much as you can and replace that amount. If water starts getting cloudy then I would do a very large water change.

I had the same problem and my anemone was completely puree'd. Of course first thing I did was read all the urban legends about puree anemone killing everything and panicked.

In the end I didn't do a water change, it all cleared up in a couple days.

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My neighbors theory Aka urban legend lol, he did notice his female Maroon nurture his house since he would constantly see him pick up frozen food and toss it in the Nems ripped mouth or what ever was left of it, he wasn’t sure if it always did that since he started paying more attention after he ripped it probably was doin it to help the Nem recover since he had been hosting it for about a year, that maroon drew blood from his hand that day I think that’s what got him desparete and ripped it besides that he’s a bit of a brute, he Might he reading this lol

OP
OP
S

Shluffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate everyone's responses. To me, he looks like he's done, but his foot is partly their and his mouth is strangely whole. For the small possibility he has a chance ......

My game plan:
1) Put the injured Nem in the sump. Screened off section, can't get anywhere other than the small area. Have a light for him, but its not powerful.
2) If he doesn't attach by tomorrow, I'll assume he is done.
3) will skim very wet and replace the water with SW to keep parameters steady

If this is a huge mistake, would appreciate the feedback. And thank you everyone for your fast responses.

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate everyone's responses. To me, he looks like he's done, but his foot is partly their and his mouth is strangely whole. For the small possibility he has a chance ......

My game plan:
1) Put the injured Nem in the sump. Screened off section, can't get anywhere other than the small area. Have a light for him, but its not powerful.
2) If he doesn't attach by tomorrow, I'll assume he is done.
3) will skim very wet and replace the water with SW to keep parameters steady

If this is a huge mistake, would appreciate the feedback. And thank you everyone for your fast responses.

Is he attached to LR? If he is how long he’s been in the same spot ?

What type of lights are you running ?

When I get home I will load some before and after pics to give you a tad of encouragement lol

OP
OP
S

Shluffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And a (really) fast update. Just moved him to the sump. He attached himself to the sump. I have him in a low flow area, and will wait to feed him until tomorrow. Too much trauma today.

Lights are LED.

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And a (really) fast update. Just moved him to the sump. He attached himself to the sump. I have him in a low flow area, and will wait to feed him until tomorrow. Too much trauma today.

Lights are LED.

As long as it’s attached it’s trying to survive, as long as it’s on the same spot it’s comfortable, I would hold of on the feeding until it adjust and when you do feed it very tiny sliced up foods they spend a lot of energy getting food in then digesting I have read, mine was not feed I tried during the first months but it would reject everything but I learned after that the chunks of shrimp was just too big that’s why it rejected them but, good lighting is all they need tbh

Rouxdog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't give up on the nem completely. Not sure what type it is but I got a new tank a few months ago and my 20+ yr old BTA has gotten caught in gyre twice in the past month. It looked pretty bad the first time but seems to be doing ok.

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d give it a week, can’t really hurt anything if you keep an eye on it

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep in mind that anemones are one of the first creatures on our planet and have survived every mass extinction event (even the one that killed almost 95% of diverse life in the water). They’re tough and they have a good method, have a little faith.

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t get rid of the Nem I had one do the same last year he disappeared 2 weeks later pop ups on the top of my rocks stood there for months took about 4-5 months to fully recover I didn’t feed it neither recovered on its own, but do get your Powerheads cover if you can.

Edit: the thing was destroyed no tentacles and it bleached looked like a lil piece of blob
Did you dip it to help recover

mOUs3y

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to hear about your nem. I remember reading this before I got my CC inferno and printed a cover for my mp40. I guess it doesn't help if your nem is still too small. I shoulda kept on using the foam guard :( I think mines dead.

Attachments

• PXL_20210905_153944785.jpg
    PXL_20210905_153944785.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 169

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back