Protecting anemones from peppermint shrimp

ratposs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I recently had a minor outbreak of aiptasia in my developing reef tank. It is a 90 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump. As part of the removal process, I introduced 12 peppermint shrimp. They worked exceptionally well, and have removed any residual aiptasia. I know there are some symbiotic relationships between anemones and clowns as well as porcelain crabs. I have both of the latter. My question is whether or not the clowns/porcelain crabs will protect desired anemones from the peppermint shrimp. I am hesitant to remove the shrimp because of the possibility of future aiptasia infestations, but I really would like to have some bubbletip anemones. Any advice?

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I recently had a minor outbreak of aiptasia in my developing reef tank. It is a 90 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump. As part of the removal process, I introduced 12 peppermint shrimp. They worked exceptionally well, and have removed any residual aiptasia. I know there are some symbiotic relationships between anemones and clowns as well as porcelain crabs. I have both of the latter. My question is whether or not the clowns/porcelain crabs will protect desired anemones from the peppermint shrimp. I am hesitant to remove the shrimp because of the possibility of future aiptasia infestations, but I really would like to have some bubbletip anemones. Any advice?
I have peppermints and RBTAs and RFAs in the same tank. The peppermints don’t bother them at all. In fact my peppermints are trained to eat off my feeding tongs. No issues at least in my tank.

OP
OP
R

ratposs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have peppermints and RBTAs and RFAs in the same tank. The peppermints don’t bother them at all. In fact my peppermints are trained to eat off my feeding tongs. No issues at least in my tank.
Forgive my ignorance, but I am not familiar with RBTA and RFA acronyms. I am not looking to have a tank where I have to hand feed an animal that can physically move across the tank in less than 10 seconds.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive my ignorance, but I am not familiar with RBTA and RFA acronyms. I am not looking to have a tank where I have to hand feed an animal that can physically move across the tank in less than 10 seconds.
RBTA, is a rainbow bubble tip anemone, and RFA, is a rock flower anemone.

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red bubble tip anemone and rock flower anemone.

Generally speaking, they won't bother many other nems that we keep. If you're worried, be sure to keep them fed and if you're spot feeding the nems, feed everything else first. They have a bad rap that I think is mostly undeserved because people see them stealing food or acting as a scavenger when an anemone is already dead.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red bubble tip anemone and rock flower anemone.

Generally speaking, they won't bother many other nems that we keep. If you're worried, be sure to keep them fed and if you're spot feeding the nems, feed everything else first. They have a bad rap that I think is mostly undeserved because people see them stealing food or acting as a scavenger when an anemone is already dead
Only mentioned it because they get a bad rap but they’ve been pretty harmless in my experience. They’re also great part of the clean up crew and will eat bits of uneaten food your fish leave around.

OP
OP
R

ratposs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only mentioned it because they get a bad rap but they’ve been pretty harmless in my experience. They’re also great part of the clean up crew and will eat bits of uneaten food your fish leave around.
I agree 100%! They have been integral in helping to reduce my phosphates in the tank. Yet another reason I am hesitant to remove them...

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will try to steal food from anemones but never seen one harm an anemone. I would be way more worried about your coral than any anemones.

OP
OP
R

ratposs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will try to steal food from anemones but never seen one harm an anemone. I would be way more worried about your coral than any anemones.
Thanks! This is absolutely what I am looking for. I have corals that are not being disturbed by the shrimp. Appreciate the comment.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a peppermint almost get eaten by a rock flower anemone yesterday! He got away the Anemone wasn't so happy about it. The Anemone had the shrimp taco-ed up and ready to finish him off.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back