Anemone issues

Kruss7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I have a primarily acropora dominated tank, but I do have some zoas as well as some lps (torches, scolys, acans, acanthophyllia). The tank is a 35g cube. Lighting is a radion xr15 g5 blue and t5 hybrid. Tank is over a year and a half old.

My parameters
Phosphates 0.04ppm
Nitrate 2ppm
Alk 8.22 dkH
Calc 441
Mag 1552
Ph 8.2
Temp 78
Salinity 1.026

All my corals are happy, acros have great colour and polyp extension.

My parameters stay super stable.

The bubble tip anemone hosts 2 Ocellaris clownfish. The anemone was fine for months but it has looked like this for a few weeks now, however it has never moved.

I have been trying to feed it more to see if I can get it back to happy.

The only thing my tank struggles with is keeping nitrates up, but I have been keeping them fairly stable around 2 with more feeding.

Any opinions on what is wrong and what action I should take?

AFCC1161-9ED1-460A-9488-ABEC1D601F40.jpeg 9C07F58A-EAF2-4ACF-BC2B-C5E266826D78.jpeg

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best guess is the tentacles have rotted away due to bacterial infection. I highly doubt this is a water quality issue here. The most common antibiotic to use for nems is Ciprofloxacin. I would start there. This nem can still be saved but its going to take some serious work. You will need a hospital tank with appropriate lighting to sustain the anemone. Doesnt have to be high dollar reef lights, but enough so the nem can still make use of it. And dose the tank every day with cipro. I used a fluval 13.5 as a hospital tank, 1 pill of 500mg cipro a day. Then 95% water change and dose another for 10 days.

Edit: DO NOT FEED IT IN THIS STATE. Feeding is not necessary at all basically, but in a weakened state like this, the amount of energy it takes to digest the food can kill it faster.

OP
OP
K

Kruss7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best guess is the tentacles have rotted away due to bacterial infection. I highly doubt this is a water quality issue here. The most common antibiotic to use for nems is Ciprofloxacin. I would start there. This nem can still be saved but its going to take some serious work. You will need a hospital tank with appropriate lighting to sustain the anemone. Doesnt have to be high dollar reef lights, but enough so the nem can still make use of it. And dose the tank every day with cipro. I used a fluval 13.5 as a hospital tank, 1 pill of 500mg cipro a day. Then 95% water change and dose another for 10 days.

Edit: DO NOT FEED IT IN THIS STATE. Feeding is not necessary at all basically, but in a weakened state like this, the amount of energy it takes to digest the food can kill it faster.
Thank you!

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back