Are water parameters for anemones the same for corals?

W0terMoist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried going online to figure out the parameters for anemones and saw one website saying calcium and magnesium should be within reef tank range. Those two parameters are needed for stony corals, but is that the same for anemones? I am wanting to do a fish only system and potentially add some anemones to it later on.

Would using Instant Ocean salt (purple box), a quality light, and keeping phosphates and nitrates within range, be enough? Or is calcium and other trace elements important?

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried going online to figure out the parameters for anemones and saw one website saying calcium and magnesium should be within reef tank range. Those two parameters are needed for stony corals, but is that the same for anemones? I am wanting to do a fish only system and potentially add some anemones to it later on.

Would using Instant Ocean salt (purple box), a quality light, and keeping phosphates and nitrates within range, be enough? Or is calcium and other trace elements important?
I’m no expert but I do have a large mixed reef that I dose and constantly maintain while I also have a 65 gallon nem tank. The nem tank is super basic. No skimmer, no power heads, and no dosing and almost never test. It houses 20+ bubble tip nems, a white tail tang, 2 clowns, a fire fish, and a cow fish. Point is I don’t feel that they need much. Do your water changes and give them light and a little flow.
IMG_1535.jpeg
IMG_1392.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back