Anemone lighting: T5 vs LED

Cody.P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I’m not too active on here but I’m looking to set up an anemones tank soon and need help deciding on a light :) I have both lights and just can’t decided! I’m looking at either using a Radion LED Or a T5 fixture.
Which one would you use over a nem tank and why???

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just from my own experience with a rainbow bubble tip that has since split into two and grown. I have always had just one AI Hydra 52HD, about 10 inches above the water.

My choice of lighting was based on the desire to have a mixed reef and I liked the functionality and aesthetic of the AI Hydras over other LEDs liked the Radions. I've always wanted to keep clowns and an Anemone so after listening to a video post from Melevsreef I decided to try an anemone once the tank was around 6 months old. I'm going on 1.5 years and I still have that same anemone, two of them now, without any hosted clowns, since my clowns seem to prefer the top front corner of the tank.

I do feed the anemones a scallop chunk once a week. So far they're growing and have colored up nicely. I've had a porcelain crab living in one or the other for a few months now.

Not sure if this helps.

LostInTheDark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what your goal is but the anemones will thrive under both. I started with LEDs and sitched to T5s and they continue to grow and split on a continuous basis. I have a Sebae on the sand in a 30 inch deep tank as well as 5 red BTAs spread around from top to bottom. They are under an ATI 8x80. They only difference is that the BTAs glow more under the LEDs. To fix that issue I broke down one of my old Ocean Revives and used the power supply along with new diodes and made a 72" light bar to give me a sunrise/sunset and add back that glow under all blues.

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine do great under my Radions. Have had them almost 2 years. Have had 2 splits, sold 1, now I have 3 giant healthy RBTA, a garden of mini-maxi, and a couple rock flowers. Love them nems! 20171021_183046.jpg 20171021_183106.jpg

OP
OP
Cody.P

Cody.P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback so far! I’m leaning more toward the Radion but I don’t have a lot of experience with T5. I need more T5 users to chime in!!! Come on, I know you’re out there!!

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a LED/T5 combo
I used LED only originally but when I added my carpet nem I supplemented my LED with my 36" T5. Honestly I'm not sure if I'm supplementing with T5 or LED now. My carpet is doing fine with the combo tho.
Really not sure if this helps lol.

Lninwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you will be adding sps do t waste your money on Radions. Go with Chinese black box such as ocean revive. I used them on my 55 gal. Started with two and ended up with 6

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback so far! I’m leaning more toward the Radion but I don’t have a lot of experience with T5. I need more T5 users to chime in!!! Come on, I know you’re out there!!
You didn't say how many tubes on the t5.

OP
OP
Cody.P

Cody.P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 bulb (non ATI fixture) and it’s going over a shallow display. 4x2x12”.
I already own both the T5 and Radion. It’s only an XR15 so I would probably pick up another to get the best coverage if I go that route.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 bulb (non ATI fixture) and it’s going over a shallow display. 4x2x12”.
I already own both the T5 and Radion. It’s only an XR15 so I would probably pick up another to get the best coverage if I go that route.
The eight bulb is overkill sort of and probably twice as powerful as two radions over the same tank at the same heith. The nems would love it.

Neat dimensions for a tank btw. Be pretty cool to grow acros on the sand bed.

OP
OP
Cody.P

Cody.P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The eight bulb is overkill sort of and probably twice as powerful as two radions over the same tank at the same heith. The nems would love it.

Neat dimensions for a tank btw. Be pretty cool to grow acros on the sand bed.

So your vote is use the T5s?
Basically using a rimless frag tank because I thought it would be cool to have a shallow nem display! No acros allowed lol. Just gonna collects tons of anemones :)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your vote is use the T5s?
Basically using a rimless frag tank because I thought it would be cool to have a shallow nem display! No acros allowed lol. Just gonna collects tons of anemones :)
Haha. It yours. My vote is to do what you think looks great. Both will work fine.

You really don't need a ton of light. But just try to be aware of how much.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the T-5.

Personally I have my nems under MH.

You could keep them under the XR15, but would certainly need another one. We have some nems at work under XR15s that are doing fine.

rgodoy22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IT LOOKS LIKE BTA ALWAYS LOOK MORE COLORFUL UNDR T5, IS THERE ANY ONE WITH LEDS WITH A COLORFUL BTA? I RECENTLY GOT AI PRIMES HDS THINKING I COULD GET COLOR LIKE THE ONE QUOTED BUT I MAY HAVE MADE A MISTAKE....

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IT LOOKS LIKE BTA ALWAYS LOOK MORE COLORFUL UNDR T5, IS THERE ANY ONE WITH LEDS WITH A COLORFUL BTA? I RECENTLY GOT AI PRIMES HDS THINKING I COULD GET COLOR LIKE THE ONE QUOTED BUT I MAY HAVE MADE A MISTAKE....

I have a few friends and we all have splits from the same anemone and they have them under LED and yes they are very bright and colorful.

OP
OP
Cody.P

Cody.P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I decided to run and experiment. I have two CSBs (clones) and I’m gonna put one under a Radion and other under T5 to see which one colors up best!

rgodoy22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few friends and we all have splits from the same anemone and they have them under LED and yes they are very bright and colorful.

Do you by chance have any pictures? I'm considering maybe even getting the new aquatic life hybrid light and run both

rgodoy22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I decided to run and experiment. I have two CSBs (clones) and I’m gonna put one under a Radion and other under T5 to see which one colors up best!

That would be awesome! Can't wait to see your results

ash9965

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently running Leds and Nems are doing great but have to admit I miss my T-5s from 7 years ago - hard to explain just something richer about the t-5 look . I have seen some nice t-5 tanks have to admit.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back