Anemone not looking good

Luvthekeys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a month ago I bought a pink bubble tipped anemone. He quickly too up residence on the underside of a rock. When the lights came on he would extend and looked quite healthy. Around the same time I bought a jade crab who decided the underside of that rock looked good to him too. There was enough space for both. The last week the anemone is withdrawn most of the time and only extends a little for short periods of time. I have watched and see neither the jade crab or anything else bothering the anemone. A few weeks ago I purchased a small coral banded shrimp. I have read they can bother an anemone. I have not seen him doing anything but that does not mean he isn't. Tank Perimeters are all in levels they should be however Magnesium is a little high. I should add he has not moved or tried to split. Any ideas and should I remove the anemone before he possibly nukes my tank by dying. I do not have another tank for him so if I remove him he is going to die. Something I am loathe to do.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank?
What lights do you have?
How long has it been set up?
What are the numbers for your levels? What is your SG/Salinity ? (( how do you measure it ))
Do you use RO/DI water? If so, what is the TDS?

OP
OP
Luvthekeys

Luvthekeys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trex the answers to your questions

Tank 28 Gal. JBJ Nano
JBJ Top 89 Watt LED
Set Up Time - Three Months
Numbers
Salinity 1.026 Checked with refractometer calibrated weekly
Calcium 360 dosed to 400 today
dKH 10
Phosphate <.025
Magnesium 1470
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates < 20PPM most days 10 or less PPM
PH 8.2
Use DI Water (What did people do all those years ago when most used tap water. I understand and use DI water but wonder how did they manage years ago.)
TDS not measured

I know it looks like he is in a crevice but the underside of the rock actually tilts upwards at the lights a little over halfway up the tank. He looked great for three weeks and then over the past few days. I should say it happened soon after getting the coral banded shrimp. As I said I never see him on the Anemone but he does hang out below it.

James7733

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a month ago I bought a pink bubble tipped anemone. He quickly too up residence on the underside of a rock. When the lights came on he would extend and looked quite healthy. Around the same time I bought a jade crab who decided the underside of that rock looked good to him too. There was enough space for both. The last week the anemone is withdrawn most of the time and only extends a little for short periods of time. I have watched and see neither the jade crab or anything else bothering the anemone. A few weeks ago I purchased a small coral banded shrimp. I have read they can bother an anemone. I have not seen him doing anything but that does not mean he isn't. Tank Perimeters are all in levels they should be however Magnesium is a little high. I should add he has not moved or tried to split. Any ideas and should I remove the anemone before he possibly nukes my tank by dying. I do not have another tank for him so if I remove him he is going to die. Something I am loathe to do.

If you feel the anemone is not getting enough food or light or is being picked on I would try moving it to a location that would let me cover him. To do this you will need a see through container. Drill lots of holes for water current flow. Secure container so no other animals and or fish can nock over container. You will of course need to uncover for food placement but I would quickly replace the cover to insure only the anemone eats the food. The when the anemone is showing good health try moving it to a location that will let you keep a closer eye on it.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 16 42.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 20 52.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 2 5.3%
Back