Anemone only...

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the idea of an anemone only tank intrigues me. What’s the smallest tank I can use? I ask because I have a five gallon Fluval Sea that I’m not using. I can take the stock light off and get a small second-hand kessil to go on it. Also, this little tank doesn’t have a protein skimmer. Would that be a problem?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since anemones are extremely sensitive to parameter swings, I don't know that a 5 gallon would be a good fit. The smaller the tank the more susceptible to parameter swings they are due to the small water volume. That plus most anemones can get rather large, and would outgrow a 5 gallon tank. If I had to choose a "smallest" tank to put one in, I wouldn't go any smaller than a 20 gallon. Not having a skimmer isn't a big issue. Lots of reefers run successful tanks without skimmers and rely solely on water changes for nutrient export.

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since anemones are extremely sensitive to parameter swings, I don't know that a 5 gallon would be a good fit. The smaller the tank the more susceptible to parameter swings they are due to the small water volume. That plus most anemones can get rather large, and would outgrow a 5 gallon tank. If I had to choose a "smallest" tank to put one in, I wouldn't go any smaller than a 20 gallon. Not having a skimmer isn't a big issue. Lots of reefers run successful tanks without skimmers and rely solely on water changes for nutrient export.
Yea... I really doubted 5 gallons would be enough. I was just hoping I could use what I have and not ask hubby for another tank.;)

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea... I really doubted 5 gallons would be enough. I was just hoping I could use what I have and not ask hubby for another tank.;)

You could do a pest anemone tank with all Mojanos and Aiptaisa in a 5 gallon.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back