Anemone stomach out, but why?

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t recommend trying to push it back in again. It’s out for a reason. I’m still thinking it’s chemical. I had an issue with a Gig and BTA where I ran large amounts of Rox with no improvement. Pulled the BTA and the Gig responded almost immediately.

OP
OP
Kyle Brown

Kyle Brown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok pulled it out but going to work, so I will let you guys no later today. Thank you for your help!

OP
OP
Kyle Brown

Kyle Brown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening, stomach still out looks the same as before. Will see what it looks like in the am. Thanks

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance you can take it out of the water and work with it to try to get the stomach back in? I was thinking like on a cutting board.

The only reason I'm suggesting this is because I don't see it being much different then a cow or horse prolapse (or any other prolapse for that matter).

I mean sure maybe you can move the nem itself to a different tank for a day or two, but me thinks you're going to have to muscle it back in, gently, if that makes sense.

OP
OP
Kyle Brown

Kyle Brown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How should I muscle it back it, with my fingers? I tried that in the tank and I could not move it in any further than a half inch or so.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking take it out, hold it like a plate and see if you can persuade it back inside with your thumbs, if that makes sense.

Bonfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is a persistent prolapse as mentioned above in mammals a purse string suture would be surgically placed to tack it in place until the body could repair itself. With how delicate the tissue is in that area I would be curious if this would hold. Additionally, I am curious if was stung by something else. Occasionally I would see my RBTA release the tip of a tentacle and it would float through the aquarium. Is this a possibility or can you see if anything is stuck to the stomach wall. Just some thoughts I wish you well.

OP
OP
Kyle Brown

Kyle Brown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have done so far I have not noticed anything stuck in the stomach; however, as I said before I was not able to get more than a half inch in. Correct me if I am wrong, but removing the foot from where it is anchored is very stressful for the anemone? Later today I will try to “muscle” the stomach in while it is still attached to the aquarium, maybe using a smooth small rounded abject to have a more concentrated forced push will help?...

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have done so far I have not noticed anything stuck in the stomach; however, as I said before I was not able to get more than a half inch in. Correct me if I am wrong, but removing the foot from where it is anchored is very stressful for the anemone? Later today I will try to “muscle” the stomach in while it is still attached to the aquarium, maybe using a smooth small rounded abject to have a more concentrated forced push will help?...

I don't know about doing anything manually; don't like the idea of forcing it. Personally, I would work on getting the foot to release and then isolate it in a fresh QT tank. Then wait. If it goes back in on its own, we know it is environmental and can focus on the tank. If it stays out, then we have to look at the nem itself.

Bonfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally use a credit card to remove anemones from glass. I slowly tease around the edge of the base and eventually it will release.

Back