anemone vanished

Wayofthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I dont know what to make of this. I was away for work for 2 weeks, and everything in my tank is automated so no issues whatsoever when I got back... except my 6 inch plus diameter anemone just flat disappeared. Ive had it for a year or so. No apparent health issues before i left, ive had anemones die years ago and man it causes a mess in the tank, but again nothing. Any ideas

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I dont know what to make of this. I was away for work for 2 weeks, and everything in my tank is automated so no issues whatsoever when I got back... except my 6 inch plus diameter anemone just flat disappeared. Ive had it for a year or so. No apparent health issues before i left, ive had anemones die years ago and man it causes a mess in the tank, but again nothing. Any ideas
Hiding in a rock somewhere. I'd give it a least a week or more before being too concerned.

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your amonia levels. If it's dead the values should start to increase. I seriously doubt the bacterias in your tank can go through the ammonia nitrit nitrate cycle quicker than ammonia being produced.

Johng723

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on this? I’m having a similar issue. 5” Bt anemone was happy as can be in place for at least 5 months. Everything is automated and was away for 2 weeks. Come back to everything happy (SPS, torches, hammers, gonis, fish) with no major swings in parameters. Anemone flat out disappeared.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Generally they vanish when there is too much bright light, water flow or both

Johng723

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if it was the flow. I did a deep clean of all my wavemakers, which probably changed the flow. Lights haven’t changed, the anemone was sitting at right around 350 par

Jmkelley27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be hiding? I have had mine disappear then reappear.

TopClamSkoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this happen but not as severe... disappeared but reappeared a week later...

I hope you figure everything out. but for sure keep testing each day..

OP
OP
Wayofthereef

Wayofthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on this? I’m having a similar issue. 5” Bt anemone was happy as can be in place for at least 5 months. Everything is automated and was away for 2 weeks. Come back to everything happy (SPS, torches, hammers, gonis, fish) with no major swings in parameters. Anemone flat out disappeared.
So, ya the only update I have on this is that I literally gave up and bought another anemone. Never found it or traces of it. So my thoughts are that my cleanup crew just went to town on the guy. Thats the only reason why I think the tank didn't crash. I have alot of crabs and sand snails (cant remember the name) so ya i just figured alright it is what it is.

SunJW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine squeezed into the internal overflow box and dissolved itself, cleaned up by amphipods and bristol worms. The parameters were stable.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 130 74.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back