Anemone

jroger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long tentacle anemone not looking too hot. I am running a Fluval 13.5 for ~7 months now, have a smidge of Coralline algae starting to grow, so the tank is definitely settling in. I bought this ‘nem back on month 3. He’s been struggling in this tank recently and I am looking for help, or assurance that this is normal? He has been shrinking in on himself nightly. I also used to feed Silverside every other day, but recently stopped. Tank parameters to follow.

Light: Stock fluval light
Temp: 78
Salt: 1.024/31
Dkh: 10
Ca2+: 420
PO43-: 0.25ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm

This is my first salt tank, first anemone as well. I have plenty of other soft corals growing quite well. The fruit loops spa in particular is exploding with growth!

Let me know what other info yall need! I’m looking for suggestions on how to proceed with this little guy.

72723749888__8832F6FA-B882-43E7-858A-F2CCE86B90BF.jpeg 72711843281__939A71A6-C1EB-4ABD-AE1F-9E14201AD35D.jpeg IMG_6033.jpeg

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! :) We're happy to have you..

As for your anemone, I would look at bringing down your phosphate levels. Anemones like pristine and clean water, they tend not to thrive in water with high phosphate like yours.

For reference, in my anemone tank I aim for 0.05 ppm.

Your alkalinity is quite high without being dangerously high though.

Q: What is your water change regime? :) How much and how often?
Q: What test kit do you use for phosphate?

OP
OP
jroger

jroger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! :) We're happy to have you..

As for your anemone, I would look at bringing down your phosphate levels. Anemones like pristine and clean water, they tend not to thrive in water with high phosphate like yours.

For reference, in my anemone tank I aim for 0.05 ppm.

Your alkalinity is quite high without being dangerously high though.

Q: What is your water change regime? :) How much and how often?
Q: What test kit do you use for phosphate?
Hey there! Glad I am here - been learning lots over the past few months from this site. Lots of useful info here.

Anyway. What do you think the best way is to bring down phosphate levels in a tank of that size?

I typically do a 3 gal. water change on [most] weekends. TBH I have been thinking I may be changing too much at a time since 3/12=25%. With past freshwater tanks I only was doing 10%/week.

For the water changes, I use Fritz R.P.M., which usually gets my PH up where it needs to be. If it is off, I have Seachem Marine Buffer to balance things out. Is it possible that is bringing Alk levels up? If so, I'd be looking interested in methods of bringing it back down while keeping PH up.

Test kit is just the API Reef master kit. Nothing fancy.

Thanks for your help! :)

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That nem is definately not happy. I'm not knowledgeable enough to comment on water chemistry but a happy LT nem should have its foot completely buried in the sand and attached to the glass on the bottom. At least the LT I have kept did this.

EDIT : I no longer keep LT nems and didn't record parameters back them but but my current bubble tips nems thrive in NO3 15ish and PO4 0.3 - 0.6

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back