Anemones & Mature Tanks: Fact or Fiction? What makes a tank mature enough for one?

Do you need a "mature" tank in order to house an anemone in it?

• YES

Votes: 330 42.1%
  • NO

Votes: 422 53.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 31 4.0%

• Total voters

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about someone tell me how to murder all my rose bubble tip anemones? I can't get rid of them and they keep multiplying in my 300G SPS reef. Hard to reach them deep down and on back wall crevices.
Drain the tank, full it with beer, and pee in it too :p A serious answer would be to put a powerhead pointed at the anemones that are in the crevices so they will move out because too much flow and then you can remove them easier

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1. Do anemones need to be added to a mature reef tank in order to thrive?

Nope.
2. What classifies a tank as a "mature" reef tank?
Can take this one of two ways. 1. Stability. But many reefers dose to keep things stable for coral growth and what not. 2. Age of tank. A tank over a year old will have more diverse bacteria than one that’s 2months old. But one seeded with actual live rock from the ocean may have more bacteria and more diverse bacteria at 2 months than one started with dry rock at 1 year old.

3. Does the tank need to be mature or does the aquarist need to be mature?

It’s more on the reefer. Someone willing to watch the tank and take appropriate action. If your not willing to put in the time you may not have success no matter how old your tank is

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other
I feel like its more dependent on the reefer and the type of nem. A new tank thats kept by an experienced reefer can certainly do fine with a nem if they can keep everything stable and choose a healthy nem or are able to nurse it back to health. A new tank kept by a noob can also be kept stable if they do some research and have a little luck finding a good nem to start with, they could be fine (new reefers rarely seem to have the supplies on hand to set up a ht and treat a nem). But, there are just some animals that i feel need a little expert care and likey wont stand a chance without a stable tank and a little extra tlc. An example would be watching for signs to do antibiotic treatments and how to do the treatment which is common a common issue with certain wild nems.

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I awnsered other as it really depends on the knowledge of the person keeping it but in general an established reef is always better

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends...which anemone? I've heard of Aiptasia being kept in quart jars with neither heat nor any kind of filtration and doing well as long as top offs and water changes were maintained.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I voted 'other'. I have seen anemones thriving in acrylic tanks waiting to be sold for weeks at a time. with no live rock, etc. Now - their filter is probably 'mature' - but...

1. Do anemones need to be added to a mature reef tank in order to thrive? NO

2. What classifies a tank as a "mature" reef tank? Variable

3. Does the tank need to be mature or does the aquarist need to be mature? The aquarist needs to be mature. I had a small carpet anemone that I placed in my tank - when it was about 3 inches in diameter - about a month after starting up the tank. 3 years later it was almost 3 feet across - I once fed it a whole 5 inch freshly dead discus (probably a mistake). The next day - the whole skeleton was sitting on the bottom of the tank. This is of course anecdote - but - whenever I hear comments about 'the tank needs to be xx months old for whatever - I think to myself - what is in that tank - that will make a difference? except the experience of the owner

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today let's dive into the world of the sticky, stinging, beautiful, flowing tentacles of the anemone! It's always been said that you need a mature reef tank in order to house an anemone and to maintain it's health. Why is this and is this fact or fiction? Also what makes a tank mature and what part of the maturity is needed for the anemone to be happy in your aquarium? Is it chemistry benchmarks, testing results, time, coraline algae or something else? Let's GO!

I don’t think so, but it is better to wait at least 2-3 months until water cycle and ammonia and other stuff are more stable fir sure, i add my first anemone when my tank was 2 months old and after a few more that did great i lost them in a storm where we loose power for 5 days, i wasn’t prepare for that.

A tank that its parameters are pretty stable as to maintain alive what u put on it

I believe more than anything the aquarist, first thing to identify is if ur tank is stable enough to put an anemone in and keep it alive, so lot of responsibility rely on the aquarist not the tank

image via @GoldenStateCorals
_MG_8403.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Do anemones need to be added to a mature reef tank in order to thrive? NO, a mature tank does not have to have anemones to thrive.

Not sure I can answer this question here. This is a family oriented site. :)

The tank must at least have water and a filter, and I need a filter but I've have kept anemones off and on over the years.

But seriously, Knowing the needs of your livestock and supplying these needs is paramount to success of any tank. I suppose that is why you asked?

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a difference between thriving and surviving. Personally I do not think a tank needs to be mature to add an anemone. What does need to happen is you keep the water parameters under control, and you have prior knowledge about anemones.
I have added an anemone to a tank on day one, and kept it alive for 3 theirs after that (but had 8 years of anemone keeping)
I would not advise doing so as if new to SW tanks.

when cycles are complete and you understand the chemistry of your reef. (if new min 6-8 months / been in the hobby, 3 months-ish)

The tank should be done cycling and maturity is just a number.

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO it is better to add it earlier when the tank isn't completely mature. Gives them more time to settle in and find the spot they like so they won't harm the corals you choose to add later.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, anyone can keep Aiptasia!
No true. Back in the early to mid ‘90s I was selling aptasia for 3-5 per “frag”. Back then that was something special and hard to keep.

I think with advances in the hobby we have learned to keep aptasia, something desperately needed. ;)

Pinky80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No, unless you cannot establish a healthy bacteria colony in your filtration system. It is better to have a tank that has had some fish for while, or seed the tank with bacteria from another tank's filtration system, or use a bacteria source like Nitrobacter 7 or Dr. Tim's colony starter formula. You can use live rocks as well, but beware of pests. And do NOT use live sand in a bag. I have had terrible luck with bacterial infections the two times I've tried the live sand idea, both times to my fishes, my shark, and my nems. Nems do not do well at all in Ammonia and Nitrite spikes, so a mature or seeded tank would alleviate this risk.

Stable parameters, with a good bacteria load in the filter system. A mature system, for this case, is a tank that has matured past the Ammonia and Nitrite spikes. Just regulate your nitrate and phosphates thereafter and you're good to go.

The Aquarist has be mature. One has to know about the nitrogen cycle or they'll never be successful in this hobby. Read a book. Arbitrarily posting questions and running every answer possible posted in a forum is not a good recipe for success, unless you know enough to fact check against your basic knowledge of aquarium systems. You need a foundation to stand on, a basic understanding. If you've jumped into this hobby with a tank full of tap water, a new nem, and no idea about ammonia and nitrite, temperature requirements, filtration, etc, then this hobby is not for you.

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A mature system? With a lot of SPC?
For me, a mature tank is a tank that has found its balance. If one adds a medium anemone to a mature VLNS, the tank will not be a mature tank anymore and adding one may cause a lot of problems if the carrying capacity of the system can not be adjusted to the needs. It is about reconditioning the tank, prepare the tank to what is coming before adding an animal with a high food demand . The same if one has a mature LNS.
Keeping anamones , leathers, fish, etc.. means an increasing need for remineralisation and ammonia reduction capacity.
An aquarium system grows all the time which means an increasing filtration capacity. To prevent the filtration capacity will not able to follow the needs we use a biofilter in a refuge or and a bio-reactor. This way the filtration capacity is addjustable to the needs at all times and the system can easily be reconditioned to fit the bio-load planned and follow growth.

Not only adding anemons, but any sudden increase op bio-load should be planned a few weeks ahead, to prepare and recondition the system.

Spyderturbo007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting question. With my first tank, there was no way I would have added an anemone right out of the gate. I was new to the hobby and just figuring out how to test the tank and mix the saltwater was enough for me.

Now that I have time under my belt and keeping a stable tank is second nature, I would happily add an anemone to a new tank. I actually have a 20g cube cycling on my kitchen counter and I'll be adding one of my 3 RBTAs to it once it's cycled and I think it's stable.

I guess the TLDR answer would be, I would add it to a immature tank owned by a mature reefer.

D. Torres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I belive it's a good rule of thumb. Do I think you can add an anemone to a brand new tank right after is cycles? No. Do I believe there is a specific amount of time you should wait? No. I think the term mature is more of a general rule of thumb but it should be explained. Mature to me means you have had your parameters in check for an extended period after you've stocked your tank with fish. Every new addition affects your aquarium and the impact varies based on water volume and size of fish/coral/invert. The point is to know your tank. Not just be familiar with it but know what you do to your tank and how it reacts. As everyone knows all living things for the most part in our aquariums strive on stability. I have a 75g aquarium that I've had up and running for 3 years and have about 15 BTAs give or take. I set up a 20g and added a small BTA from my 75g after it was only running for 2 months and I almost lost it but was able to save it and I belive I was only able to save it because of my experience and lessons learned as in this hobby you are always learning. So that being said. If you are brand new to the hobby: patience. You've heard it before and it's for a reason. Attached is the progression of my BTA from month 3 to month 6 in my 20g.

IMG_20201008_201402.jpg

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How about someone tell me how to murder all my rose bubble tip anemones? I can't get rid of them and they keep multiplying in my 300G SPS reef. Hard to reach them deep down and on back wall crevices.
If you ever find an answer to this question let me know. Same problem here.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After treating 3 Colorado sunburst in a tote with cipro, I kept them in the tote, no filter, freshly mixed saltwater, and weekly 50% water changes for at least 12 additional weeks. Zero issues.

I think the water quality is more important then any amount of time.

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones may create high fluctuations in DOC and nutrient availability and my opinion are only suitable for bigger and high nutrient systems. They are able to pollute a small tank from one day to another. High nutrient systems need easily manageable adjustable bio-filters. One may install a high and adjustable carrying capacity in a refuge and this way condition the system for what is coming.
A tank is mature when it is balanced and able to support the desired bioload, it is not only a question of time.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back