• Other

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

Tactical Reefkeeping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today is a big day for me because my reef tank hit the 6 month mark I do not know that means it is fully mature yet or not but I do know for a new timer and a person like me that has not have a tank crashed yet for first time having a reef tank I fill good I just need some thoughts. What time do you think your reef tank is mature.

And if you want to see a video of my reef tank I will list it here

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the old days, I used Fiji live rock (straight out of the box :astonished-face:), and now I use ‘mature’ live rock with some maricultured rock mixed in.

In my experience, using that strategy, the tank is ready for some stocking of fish and coral on Day 1, ready for many things by the end of the 1st month, and by 6 months, all the wrinkles are ironed out and it’s good to go.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mature can mean so many different things to different people I think. To some being able to add fish and keeps them alive. Some keeping coral. I have 3 tanks but only one I really consider mature. It has been through all the ups and downs etc. It's pretty much on auto pilot now dosing kalk and doing a water change one in a while. For me it wasn't until the 5 or 6 year mark when I was able to step back and let it run without too much intervention on my part. That's a mature tank to me. One has been up for close to 5 years and still gets cyano once in a while, algae and stringy stiff that may be dinos. Haven't tested because nothing is taking over. So 5 years on that one and still not mature to me. The third has been up 13 months and not even close to what I would consider mature.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back