Anemones

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to buy a rainbow anemone and a flametip anemone also and I was wondering do they have to be away from each other or will they be ok together and how do all these places get these different types of anemones like the Colorado sunburst and all of those types of anemones??

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should be fine relatively close together, don't have them touching if you can but they're the same species so they should tolerate each other.

Now for your other question. These all come from the wild originally and are then propagated (cut in half) and sold when there's enough in their captive population. These are all Entacmaea quadricolor and this species has a lot of variety with colors. So most that come in are red or green, but some are special, very special, or some morph under our lighting to look as insane as they do. So that's originally where they get them, but after that just about all of them are farmed or aquacultured.

OP
OP
R

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read online that the sunburst came from Colorado and it didn't come from the sea so what produced it

OP
OP
R

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they actually breed different anemones or you can't do that because I don't understand where this Colorado sunburst came from because it says online that they didn't come from the sea and I know that you can propagate them and cut them in half but if this anemone didn't come from the sea originally how did they make it

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure on the lineage of that one, maybe one of them will chime in.

We tend to call it morphing. This is really common with things like Zoanthids and branching hard corals like Acropora. Being moved to a different system with different lighting types, intensities, spectrums, can cause them to change color or "morph". It's usually not severe enough to warrant any attention but sometimes gives us crazy colors.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well duh of course it originally came from the sea. They are probably speaking to the one that you'd be buying, as it's aquacultured so that statement is true. Or the color only showed when they brought the original one in so that isn't "from the sea". Seems like a gimmicky statement but sort of true.

OP
OP
R

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok i just started thinking about this stuff because I didn't think that you could breed the things so I was wondering how there getting all these different one's that's all because I really like a bunch of them I could have a tank full of anemones and be happy because there really cool and nice looking but I have lps corals in my tank also and a pair of designer clownfish that cost me 80 a piece

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically you could breed them as they can reproduce sexually, but the other method is much more effective. If you can get them to stay in one spot on their own that would be a pretty sweet system,

OP
OP
R

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I actually read an article that said that there's none of those types of anemones in the sea and it said that they originate out of Colorado

OP
OP
R

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I didn't know that you could breed them but the one's that I'm getting would be nice if they did breed I'm sure then because there both nice looking

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, there aren't any actinic lighting systems hanging over the ocean so no the color probably didn't come from the ocean. But they're an idiot if they think or say that an Entacmaea quadricolor came from Colorado and nowhere else. Of course the original one came from the ocean at some point.

OP
OP
R

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I know that bubbletip anemone come from the ocean originally but there talking about the color of this anemone and that if it were put in the sea it would lose its color so I'm guessing that it is a morph like you said earlier

OP
OP
R

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been nice talking to you and finding this information out because I never knew this information so thanks for your time

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I'll step in and break this down a bit.

In the ocean all anemones look greenish to brownish. Pretty bland. When they are brought into captivity they all look like that... at first. Back around 2000 we got our first really colorful ones. Reds and pinks! Before then our bubble tips (e. Quadricolor ) were mostly shades of green and brown with some variation. And those first ones were pretty cool.

The next step in us getting colors were people saying the other colors were neat too. As anemones colored up in distributors tanks they put the cool names on them.

So eventually someone in Colorado got a really cool morph from a distributor. Are there more in the ocean? Oh, I'm sure there are. We just don't know where they are, don't want to over collect them, etc. Someday we will have more cool color morphs.

I do wonder what a Sunburst would look like under natural lighting for a year. Shades of green and brown I bet.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do need to say after that comment that they don't ALL look green and brown in the ocean. There are some awesome colors in the ocean, reds pinks, bright greens but not the crazy infernos, flame tips, lemon drops and such. Where do we think the red, blue and purple, or rainbow carpet anemones came from? Those were real colors not morphed in captivity. But to the rest of that I agree.

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I agree. The colors are there, it's just not very noticable to our eyes. When I got my current bta it was a boring tan with green tips at the lfs. They use a pretty white spectrum and lights that can't really support the nem. In my tank it's purple with green tips. An amazing specimin really.

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great conversation.
Before you jump into purchasing nems...How long has your tank been running? What kind of lights are you running? How large is your tank? What other if any coral do you have?

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 25 28.4%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 29 33.0%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back