Anenome causing tank to cloud!

Murr7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what my sebae anenome is doing, spewing white milky liquid, what is going on? Will it kill my tank? It was happy and huge before lights out. After lights out this is what I turn on the lights to find. My whole tank and sump is chalk white and my skimmer is out of control.
IMG_20171008_231612.jpg

Coralfuture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Uhh looks like its trying to make babies...coral food but WAYYYYYY too much is why the tank is white. Skim as much as you can maybe do a water change also. Carbon can help clean it up a bit but you would need to throw out the carbon the next day due to what it would all catch starting to rot more or less. I have snails do this all the time and that's about how I handle it.

OP
OP
Murr7

Murr7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uhh looks like its trying to make babies...coral food but WAYYYYYY too much is why the tank is white. Skim as much as you can maybe do a water change also. Carbon can help clean it up a bit but you would need to throw out the carbon the next day due to what it would all catch starting to rot more or less.
Thanks for the quick response, I added an extra bag of carbon right off the bat and turned the skimmer up to a wet skim. I was hoping it was a spawning event and not a dieing event. It's a big 6year old anemone and it dieing would take out my tank easy, I've never seen it spawn before which is why I was a little worried.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally cuz I just don't know I'd get wc ready. Lol. Be cool if it was spawning.

#reefsquad & @Amoo I've never seen that.

OP
OP
Murr7

Murr7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the tank is Crystal clear today and nothing seems to have taken any damage. It was a really wierd thing to watch unfold. Thanks to everyone for the quick response!

Shayneoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had same problem with my large anemone, fed him too much and he was sick.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A spawning event is different then expelling zoos.

It's known that some nems will try to spawn "naturally" in a tank, what's not known if it is due to stress or happiness. There's much debate on both sides.

OP
OP
Murr7

Murr7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what she said? :D

It was happy alright. :D
Haha after I posted that I had a little giggle to myself

A spawning event is different then expelling zoos.

It's known that some nems will try to spawn "naturally" in a tank, what's not known if it is due to stress or happiness. There's much debate on both sides.
This was my big concern I searched the interweb to see if anyone else had experienced anemone spawning but most I found are attributed to a stress factor, which made me start to worry.

PAXpress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha after I posted that I had a little giggle to myself

This was my big concern I searched the interweb to see if anyone else had experienced anemone spawning but most I found are attributed to a stress factor, which made me start to worry.
That looks quite a bit when my flower nem was spawning. Expelling the zoo is normally redish or maroon colored where the spawn color is like whiteish or dare I say cream colored...
This is a video I took of my flower nem spawning. Mine didnt produce enough to cloud the tank however I dont believe it was stress related because mine is still fine and very big and happy. Didnt result in any babies though.

OP
OP
Murr7

Murr7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks quite a bit when my flower nem was spawning. Expelling the zoo is normally redish or maroon colored where the spawn color is like whiteish or dare I say cream colored...
This is a video I took of my flower nem spawning. Mine didnt produce enough to cloud the tank however I dont believe it was stress related because mine is still fine and very big and happy. Didnt result in any babies though.

That's pretty cool, I have a video of my nem doing it but I can't get it to upload here.

Back to normal for the nem
IMG_20171012_195852.jpg

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back