Angelfish HLLE?

Brian283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers,

While doing a water change this afternoon I noticed my Angelfish had some skin discoloration. Kind of looks like HLLE but I wanted a second opinion.

65 Gallon Red Sea G2
Temp 77
Salt 1.026
Ammonia is zero
Nitrite .15 ppm
Nitrate 5 ppm
Phosphate.09 PPM

Tank is 7 months old.

I did the AquaBiomics Tank DNA test 30 days ago. Results were expected last Friday the 20th. So maybe Monday……

Thanks in advance. IMG_0949.jpeg IMG_0943.jpeg IMG_0950.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0952.mov
    56.7 MB

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope its not nitrite poisoning, odd that you have any nitrites after 7 months. Would think your bio filter would be up to par by now. Just curious, but whats your alk Calc and mag?

OP
OP
Brian283

Brian283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope its not nitrite poisoning, odd that you have any nitrites after 7 months. Would think your bio filter would be up to par by now. Just curious, but whats your alk Calc and mag?
Using AF Reef Salt. Ca is 425 and MG 1450

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that faint patch is the only thing and there aren’t other symptoms like head twitching, scratching, or labored breathing then it’s fine. Just a little stress mark and the start of transitioning to adult.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not hlle or poisoning as there would be obvious signs . Appears to be blemishes and will switch over to a larger screen
What foods are you offering?

Tyler Flynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HLLE can be brought on by running carbon i have read. I agree that those look like blemishes over hlle. It was fairly obvious on my tomini tang when it was in quarantine. Luckily i was ready to move him when it showed up, and it cleared up shortly after the move to the main system

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi Reefers,

While doing a water change this afternoon I noticed my Angelfish had some skin discoloration. Kind of looks like HLLE but I wanted a second opinion.

65 Gallon Red Sea G2
Temp 77
Salt 1.026
Ammonia is zero
Nitrite .15 ppm
Nitrate 5 ppm
Phosphate.09 PPM

Tank is 7 months old.

I did the AquaBiomics Tank DNA test 30 days ago. Results were expected last Friday the 20th. So maybe Monday……

carbon often blamed and often not a cause nor do I see HLLE but spots on glass make it hard to fully see fish.
I do see a scrape injury which is capable of getting infected. You can keep an eye on it for healing and not redness or infection. Have Seachem Kanaplex or maracyn 2 on hand in the event it becomes infected.

OP
OP
Brian283

Brian283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not hlle or poisoning as there would be obvious signs . Appears to be blemishes and will switch over to a larger screen
What foods are you offering?
Offering Seaweed extreme pellets twice a day, everyday. Then my own mix of salmon, scallops, with BRS green spiraling powder and red paracoccus powder mixed in 4-5 times a week. Alternate days BRS mysis shrimp with selcon drops added.

For some reason he will not touch any nori.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers,

65 Gallon Red Sea G2
Temp 77
Salt 1.026
Ammonia is zero
Nitrite .15 ppm
Nitrate 5 ppm
Phosphate.09 PPM

Tank is 7 months old.

That's not classic HLLE. The location and color is a bit wrong for that. Also, in the video, I could see a quick glimpse of a section on the belly with the same coloration.

Nitrites are not toxic to marine fish, so that isn't an issue.

The fish is breathing just a bit fast. Perhaps it was because you were "in its face" for the video, but it bears watching. Was this fish ever treated for flukes?

Here is my article about carbon and HLLE:

Jay

OP
OP
Brian283

Brian283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not classic HLLE. The location and color is a bit wrong for that. Also, in the video, I could see a quick glimpse of a section on the belly with the same coloration.

Nitrites are not toxic to marine fish, so that isn't an issue.

The fish is breathing just a bit fast. Perhaps it was because you were "in its face" for the video, but it bears watching. Was this fish ever treated for flukes?

Here is my article about carbon and HLLE:

Jay
Jay,

I appreciate that. I will read this tonight.

No, hasn’t been treated for flukes. I didn’t see any signs of that before or after QT. No new fish added to the tank in more than 3 months. Only a few corals. Only other changes in the last 30 days has been the addition of a Gyre (4,000 GPH). Set to go no higher than 30%. As I wanted to have more water movement in some dead zones near the intake baffle. In the future I will not have a reef tank with an I tank baffle.

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks more like an abrasion from scraping a rock than HLLE. My Emporer Angel had a major hole in it's head (HLLE for sure) and I was able to cure this (the scar is still there ) by feeding it lots of nori 2 or 3 times a day. While there are many theories about HLLE, the only one that makes any sense to me is that fish like Angle fish need enough veggies in their diet. If they don't get that, they can develop illness (like HLLE). Pellets are ok but nothing can really substitute for fresh veggies.

Attachments

• IMG_0546.jpeg
    IMG_0546.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 26

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%
Back