Angelfish passed away, what’s next?

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is only my second fish death, and the first was a carpet surfer. My coral beauty angel died this morning in its cave and I managed to get it out. My guess is a dietary issue because it stopped eating about a week ago wouldn’t take algae, pellets, or the live brine I was feeding. If that’s not the problem am worried something is in the tank and might kill others. Everything else seems fine and the fish had no visual indications of any disease distress or aggression.

Parameters:

No ammonia
Salinity: 1.025
Temp: 78°
Nitrate: 25ppm (little high)
ph: 7.9 (hard to read)
Phosphate:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is only my second fish death, and the first was a carpet surfer. My coral beauty angel died this morning in its cave and I managed to get it out. My guess is a dietary issue because it stopped eating about a week ago wouldn’t take algae, pellets, or the live brine I was feeding. If that’s not the problem am worried something is in the tank and might kill others. Everything else seems fine and the fish had no visual indications of any disease distress or aggression.

Parameters:

No ammonia
Salinity: 1.025
Temp: 78°
Nitrate: 25ppm (little high)
ph: 7.9 (hard to read)
Phosphate:
Question is did it stop eating or was there something internal up to constipation/bloating. Was its feces normal or white
Did you notice heavy breathing or hiding a lot?
What other foods are you/were you offering?
Lastly, how are you testing water?

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question is did it stop eating or was there something internal up to constipation/bloating. Was its feces normal or white
Did you notice heavy breathing or hiding a lot?
What other foods are you/were you offering?
Lastly, how are you testing water?
I believe it stopped eating. It wouldn’t come out during feeding time, but then afterwards and before it would be out doing laps.

I was offering algae flakes, carnivorous flakes, pellets, live brine, and nori

Testing water with an API kit for nitrate, ammonia alert for ammonia, hydrometer for salinity, and Hanna checker for phosphate

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I believe it stopped eating. It wouldn’t come out during feeding time, but then afterwards and before it would be out doing laps.

I was offering algae flakes, carnivorous flakes, pellets, live brine, and nori

Testing water with an API kit for nitrate, ammonia alert for ammonia, hydrometer for salinity, and Hanna checker for phosphate
To assure its not a water issue., I encourage you to get a second opinion by taking a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at
This fish and many requires meat in the form of frozen foods for aminos, vitamins and fats. Dry foods as a primary diet can end up also with fish getting constipated.
Recommended:
Mysis shrimp
LRS Fish frenzy
Marine cuisine
Small plankton

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One additional question....How long have you had the coral beauty?

Sporadically, we have learned of suspicious deaths occurring 4 to 6 weeks after the acquisition of coral beauties which have just arrived from the Pacific. Historically, this species has been captured through the use of cyanide. The poison remains in the body and eventually (4 - 6 weeks) results in death. Lethargy, not eating, and hiding are three symptoms in the days leading up to death. I lost 2 coral beauties this way three years ago and concluded that was the likely cause given other fish were obtained at the same time and are still alive today.

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One additional question....How long have you had the coral beauty?

Sporadically, we have learned of suspicious deaths occurring 4 to 6 weeks after the acquisition of coral beauties which have just arrived from the Pacific. Historically, this species has been captured through the use of cyanide. The poison remains in the body and eventually (4 - 6 weeks) results in death. Lethargy, not eating, and hiding are three symptoms in the days leading up to death. I lost 2 coral beauties this way three years ago and concluded that was the likely cause given other fish were obtained at the same time and are still alive today.
That actually makes sense I brought it home March 12th so if it was definitely collected and acclimated before then then it would line up with the 4-6 week mark. Really sad that that happens I have to look into aquacultured coral beauties. The reason I picked mine out at the store was because it was so chill and was just kinda hanging around

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree with @Jay Hemdal et al - there has certainly been a rash of small angels having problem. I disagree with your thought that this is a dietary issue. Fish do not starve to death within a well. Curious - lets assume its a disease - did you QT the fish before adding it to your tank? PS - you are absolutely correct to be asking about your 'old' fish. Watch carefully for any symptoms, etc.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The primary issue is that many of these Pygmy angels are collected with drugs(cyanide) since catching them on reefs with just a net is nearly impossible.
When you say the fish was “chill” - cyanide poisoning causes behavioral changes, so maybe that was a symptom. Sometimes the fish just up and die, other times they stop eating and die later. To make matters even more confusing is that cyanide poisoning can happen alongside of diseases….

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @Jay Hemdal et al - there has certainly been a rash of small angels having problem. I disagree with your thought that this is a dietary issue. Fish do not starve to death within a well. Curious - lets assume its a disease - did you QT the fish before adding it to your tank? PS - you are absolutely correct to be asking about your 'old' fish. Watch carefully for any symptoms, etc.
I did not QT. I am in a college dorm so I just have my tank that I try to be very careful with additions. The other fish show no signs of any disease and the fish was large so I'd assume it was older, and yes at the LFS it was just sitting not moving in the tank. However, when it was in my tank it seemed happy and swimming a lot and was eating at the start. cyanide sounds so bad and is upsetting.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back