Light patches on Mimic Tang

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#fishmedics
This Ebli Mimic Tang has been in my possession for about a month. It was at the lfs since November '23. They qt tangs, coppersafe and prazi.
He came out to display in Jan '24.
I got him and put him on his own in this display late January. In my other tank I had 3 scissor tail darts beginning of Jan.
I noticed these spots on the Tang about 2 weeks ago. Doesn't seem to be distressed. The dart fish also seem fine.
Lps dom reef.
Temp 77f
Alk 8.6
Ph 7.9-8.1
Nitrate 15ppm
Phos old Hannah says .03????
Lights on 12 hrs starting at 12pm very low ramping to intensity at 4, ramping down 8 to 12am.
No scratching, no loss of appetite, he eats all day and anything I feed. He gets 2 strips of nori daily. Flake or pellets at noonish formula 2. Mysis, spirulina brine, or arctipods at night.
Not sure this is an issue mostly noticed as I moved corals to this tank and turned lights on.

Thanks for help in advance.
Everything I've found isn't this and seems much worse. Maybe I'm catching it early.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
#fishmedics
This Ebli Mimic Tang has been in my possession for about a month. It was at the lfs since November '23. They qt tangs, coppersafe and prazi.
He came out to display in Jan '24.
I got him and put him on his own in this display late January. In my other tank I had 3 scissor tail darts beginning of Jan.
I noticed these spots on the Tang about 2 weeks ago. Doesn't seem to be distressed. The dart fish also seem fine.
Lps dom reef.
Temp 77f
Alk 8.6
Ph 7.9-8.1
Nitrate 15ppm
Phos old Hannah says .03????
Lights on 12 hrs starting at 12pm very low ramping to intensity at 4, ramping down 8 to 12am.
No scratching, no loss of appetite, he eats all day and anything I feed. He gets 2 strips of nori daily. Flake or pellets at noonish formula 2. Mysis, spirulina brine, or arctipods at night.
Not sure this is an issue mostly noticed as I moved corals to this tank and turned lights on.

Thanks for help in advance.
Everything I've found isn't this and seems much worse. Maybe I'm catching it early.

video was short but mat be either post injury marks or bacterial issue. May also be mucus cones but will need longer and clearer video to determine

OP
OP
twentyleagues

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'll add because I forgot these patches were on the Tang before I added the darts or corals. Sometimes they seem more pronounced others almost invisible except in the correct lighting. This is my daylight spectrum with an orange filter. It's easier to notice with filter.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'll add because I forgot these patches were on the Tang before I added the darts or corals. Sometimes they seem more pronounced others almost invisible except in the correct lighting. This is my daylight spectrum with an orange filter. It's easier to notice with filter.

These do look like injuries to me as well.

The fish having these for a long time, and before the corals and other fish were added makes it difficult figure out how that would have happened though.

The typical contagious external parasites just don't create spot that stay for long periods like that though. In the absence of any other symptoms, I just don't see anything to treat at this time.

Jay

OP
OP
twentyleagues

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These do look like injuries to me as well.

The fish having these for a long time, and before the corals and other fish were added makes it difficult figure out how that would have happened though.

The typical contagious external parasites just don't create spot that stay for long periods like that though. In the absence of any other symptoms, I just don't see anything to treat at this time.

Jay
Thank you.
I wasnt really worried thinking along the same lines but I wasnt sure. I didnt notice them at the store and I watched him for a week or two before I purchased him. Then once I got him home and he'd been in the tank a few days with just ambient room lighting I started to notice. Other then them becoming more pronounced when hes exited they dont really change. They are more noticeable under different light conditions. It did seem to be stress related. At first he'd hide anytime I was doing anything near or in the tank but now he even getting used to me cleaning the glass (almost daily activity right now). The first time I cleaned the glass inside the tank is when I really saw the spots as he got really dark in color and went to the back corner. I strap his nori to a rock and put it at the bottom front of the tank he is usually a few inches away from me at that point and is dark so the darkening is his excited or fear colors and shows the spots more clearly. I thought maybe a part of the change to adult colors? I had one other mimic in the past a lemon peel and dont remember seeing any discoloration but overall body was lighter in color maybe I just didnt notice.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.
I wasnt really worried thinking along the same lines but I wasnt sure. I didnt notice them at the store and I watched him for a week or two before I purchased him. Then once I got him home and he'd been in the tank a few days with just ambient room lighting I started to notice. Other then them becoming more pronounced when hes exited they dont really change. They are more noticeable under different light conditions. It did seem to be stress related. At first he'd hide anytime I was doing anything near or in the tank but now he even getting used to me cleaning the glass (almost daily activity right now). The first time I cleaned the glass inside the tank is when I really saw the spots as he got really dark in color and went to the back corner. I strap his nori to a rock and put it at the bottom front of the tank he is usually a few inches away from me at that point and is dark so the darkening is his excited or fear colors and shows the spots more clearly. I thought maybe a part of the change to adult colors? I had one other mimic in the past a lemon peel and dont remember seeing any discoloration but overall body was lighter in color maybe I just didnt notice.
Tangs do develop mucus plugs in response to various stress. However, those are more like raised bumps. Maybe these are just a mild case?
The trouble with mucus plugs is that they can be caused by a variety of issues - some are minor, but not all.

Jay

OP
OP
twentyleagues

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs do develop mucus plugs in response to various stress. However, those are more like raised bumps. Maybe these are just a mild case?
The trouble with mucus plugs is that they can be caused by a variety of issues - some are minor, but not all.

Jay
These are definitely not raised at all.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back