Big Tank 95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 weeks ago I purchased 2 fish.
A pink squre anthias & a blonde naso on
3/21/ 24 by 4/4/24 they were both dead I noticed straight from the beginning.The pink square Anthea was not eating.
And the blonde naso would only mostly eat algae Sheets a little bit of frozen food the anthias wouldn't eat at all after about 8 days I notice the naso had blacks spots all over I moved them both to quarantine and the next day they both died 4/4/24.
Now today 4/7/24 I woke up about 9:30 am and notice my SailfinTang with black spots all over they were swimming as normal I feed the tank and roughly 1hr later my mimic tang was down for the count. I put the Sailfin in quarantine for now my 2 clown are still in the tank. I added some pics can anyone help with what I should do next 180 galI have no corals in the tank F/O These are the levels within the last ten minutes Pictures from left to right mimic Tang that died sailfin that looks sick food that I feed and the levels in the tank Any ideas of what's going on?
Thanks in advance

20240407_113505.jpg 20240407_114558.jpg Screenshot_20240407_131611_Hanna Lab.jpg

Attachments

• 20240407_113533.mp4
    68.7 MB

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think your tank is ready for any more bioload. You have ammonia and nitrites showing. Either your tank hasn't completed cycling or you have too much bioload.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
3/21/ 24 by 4/4/24 they were both dead I noticed straight from the beginning.The pink square Anthea was not eating.
And the blonde naso would only mostly eat algae Sheets a little bit of frozen food the anthias wouldn't eat at all after about 8 days I notice the naso had blacks spots all over I moved them both to quarantine and the next day they both died 4/4/24.
Now today 4/7/24 I woke up about 9:30 am and notice my SailfinTang with black spots all over they were swimming as normal I feed the tank and roughly 1hr later my mimic tang was down for the count. I put the Sailfin in quarantine for now my 2 clown are still in the tank. I added some pics can anyone help with what I should do next 180 galI have no corals in the tank F/O These are the levels within the last ten minutes Pictures from left to right mimic Tang that died sailfin that looks sick food that I feed and the levels in the tank Any ideas of what's going on?
Thanks in advance

20240407_113505.jpg 20240407_114558.jpg Screenshot_20240407_131611_Hanna Lab.jpg
This mimic tang looks to have a bacterial issue and likely associated with water or water quality and fish should be placed in treatment tank with clean water and treated with Seachem kanaplex with added aeration
How are you filtering the water in display tank?

OP
OP
B

Big Tank 95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a video of my filtration
This mimic tang looks to have a bacterial issue and likely associated with water or water quality and fish should be placed in treatment tank with clean water and treated with Seachem kanaplex with added aeration
How are you filtering the water in display tank?

Attachments

• 20231215_175329.mp4
    63.1 MB
OP
OP
B

Big Tank 95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think your tank is ready for any more bioload. You have ammonia and nitrites showing. Either your tank hasn't completed cycling or you have too much bioload.
My tank has been up and running since November 3. I haven't had any issues with multiple fish. Until I put those 2 fish.The blond naso tang and the pink square anthias

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been up and running since November 3. I haven't had any issues with multiple fish. Until I put those 2 fish.The blond naso tang and the pink square anthias
I’ve had very bad luck with anthias in general and in speaking with folks at my two local LFS the consensus is that while you can get some healthy specimens they do carry a lot of diseases and get sick pretty easily altogether. Hopefully the rest of your fish recover. Good luck!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It can be the quality of the fish. There’s a blonde Naso issue over a year and I would avoid any at all cost for now

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense. Some fish are more sensitive to others on water quality. I have three pink Anthias that are thriving. I have never had a Naso Tang, but I have a Yellow Tang, Yellow-eyed Kole Tang, Brown Tang, and Scopus Tang. I have quite a few other fish, too.

My point is that you have Ammonia and Nitrite readings, which I think shows that your tank is cycling (which is fine), probably due to the addition of the fish. I test my parameters weekly, and I have been at 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite for a long time. I have not had any issues with my fish.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks in advance

As you've heard, blonde nasos are having a really high mortality issue right now. Square anthias are always tough to keep. These are two species I avoid myself. Some other fish to avoid are listed in this article:

The sailfin tang has some sort of infection. Did these symptoms begin before or after you added the anthias and the naso?

The trouble with the sailfin is that visually, it is near death, and the various diseases that it could have all look pretty similar at that stage; it could be end stage ich, velvet or flukes. You could try a five minute FW dip and then move the fish into a treatment tank with 2.5 ppm coppersafe. However, as this stage, the FW dip could outright kill it.

OP
OP
B

Big Tank 95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you've heard, blonde nasos are having a really high mortality issue right now. Square anthias are always tough to keep. These are two species I avoid myself. Some other fish to avoid are listed in this article:

The sailfin tang has some sort of infection. Did these symptoms begin before or after you added the anthias and the naso?

The trouble with the sailfin is that visually, it is near death, and the various diseases that it could have all look pretty similar at that stage; it could be end stage ich, velvet or flukes. You could try a five minute FW dip and then move the fish into a treatment tank with 2.5 ppm coppersafe. However, as this stage, the FW dip could outright kill it.
All the fish were thriving for months with no issues levels where on point. Once I put the naso tang & pink square anthias all hell broke loose. I believe that those two fish one or the other were sick when I purchased them Due to certain things i've seen at the store when buying them I'll take the blame on this one as a newbie learning curve. Because I didn't quarantine them prior To placing them in my display tank. As of today? All my fish have died only 2 remain 1 clown & 1 blue chromis and the clown doesn't look healthy. So my next question is what should I do about the tank? Should I break it down start from the beginning or medicate the tank with copper or some other regiment for a couple of weeks before adding any new fish any help with this would be truly appreciated.
And yes I do have a quarantine tank now LOL!!!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the fish were thriving for months with no issues levels where on point. Once I put the naso tang & pink square anthias all hell broke loose. I believe that those two fish one or the other were sick when I purchased them Due to certain things i've seen at the store when buying them I'll take the blame on this one as a newbie learning curve. Because I didn't quarantine them prior To placing them in my display tank. As of today? All my fish have died only 2 remain 1 clown & 1 blue chromis and the clown doesn't look healthy. So my next question is what should I do about the tank? Should I break it down start from the beginning or medicate the tank with copper or some other regiment for a couple of weeks before adding any new fish any help with this would be truly appreciated.
And yes I do have a quarantine tank now LOL!!!

Sorry to hear....

No need to tear the tank down if it has invertebrates in it. Fish diseases will die out within 60 days of not having ANY host, so no fish for that long and the tank will clear itself.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back