Sailfin tang

Bon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, has anyone had experience introducing juvenile sailfin tang (3-4 inches) to another Sailfin tang (6
-7 inches) in a large tank (400 gallon)? We have put a mirror up, hoping the larger sailfin tang doesn’t attack the juvenile if we do introduce. In the tank, there are already 5 tangs that get along well all similar size introduced within the same month period, established for about 6 months together and happy. We also have smaller fish that aren’t tangs and they show no aggression toward them. Appreciate anyone’s input on whether this has been done successfully or best to avoid. Adding photos of the tank were hoping to add small sailfin into. Thank you

IMG_7262.jpeg IMG_7267.jpeg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, has anyone had experience introducing juvenile sailfin tang (3-4 inches) to another Sailfin tang (6
-7 inches) in a large tank (400 gallon)? We have put a mirror up, hoping the larger sailfin tang doesn’t attack the juvenile if we do introduce. In the tank, there are already 5 tangs that get along well all similar size introduced within the same month period, established for about 6 months together and happy. We also have smaller fish that aren’t tangs and they show no aggression toward them. Appreciate anyone’s input on whether this has been done successfully or best to avoid. Adding photos of the tank were hoping to add small sailfin into. Thank you

I will say I have no experience with sailfin tangs and I'm sure others can comment on them, but your tank looks incredible!

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi, what a beautiful DT! WOW,love the soft coral! My 2 cents, my Sally Sailfin is a touch bigger than yours and is tank boss. My Regal grew a bit bigger and the Tang Tango began, my usually shy yellow Tang got into the act and slices her when gets cornered. I’ve noticed Sally diving at her reflection in the side glass for quite a while until someone comes along. I would love a little one but wouldn’t with my crew. Vetteguy have along with several others your size tank and Tangs, hopefully they’re pitch in!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

I actually have. Bickering at first but then got along overall
Will post pics when I get a chance

Last edited:

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t know if this is an option, but if in the near future you decided to move a few choice rocks or corals around. It just may be enough of a distraction to your potentially territorial Sailfin that he wouldn’t be concerned with the new one. Or just introduce it during the eclipse! Who know what’s going to happen? :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Here were my two together:

660g progress pic62.jpg

OP
OP
B

Bon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here were my two together:

660g progress pic62.jpg
Ok awesome this is great! Thanks so much for your reply, this gives us way more confidence. They all seem to swim in a pack and the large sailfin (Sailor) sleeps under the leather coral so a little dominate of that space but hopefully there’s enough space she won’t pick on Junior (small sailfin). Lots of hiding space and caves throughout the rocks for them all to hide so will give it a go also do you find your copperband butterfly keeps aiptasia away without eating your soft corals? We’re trying peppermint shrimp with not much luck

OP
OP
B

Bon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t know if this is an option, but if in the near future you decided to move a few choice rocks or corals around. It just may be enough of a distraction to your potentially territorial Sailfin that he wouldn’t be concerned with the new one. Or just introduce it during the eclipse! Who know what’s going to happen? :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Good call! Had luck with this before but the sailfin is dominate around the base of the large leather coral which would be super tough to move so hoping there’s just enough space for junior sailin to find own spot down the other end

OP
OP
B

Bon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, what a beautiful DT! WOW,love the soft coral! My 2 cents, my Sally Sailfin is a touch bigger than yours and is tank boss. My Regal grew a bit bigger and the Tang Tango began, my usually shy yellow Tang got into the act and slices her when gets cornered. I’ve noticed Sally diving at her reflection in the side glass for quite a while until someone comes along. I would love a little one but wouldn’t with my crew. Vetteguy have along with several others your size tank and Tangs, hopefully they’re pitch in!
Thanks so much for your reply, completely agree the big sailfin is dominant in our tank too that’s why we’ve been hesitant good to know Vetteguy did it successfully

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 58 73.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back