White bumps on tang

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There has been 3 white bumps on my Tomini tang for about a week they look like they’ve grown slightly maybe. But they have not spread nor have the spread to other fish. The tang seems to be eating pretty good he pecks on rocks for algae and eats a few pieces of mysis when I’m feeding everyday. Seems to be out and about swimming all day. Already posted this in general discussion but was told to put it in here.

IMG_9902.jpeg IMG_9901.jpeg IMG_9900.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
There has been 3 white bumps on my Tomini tang for about a week they look like they’ve grown slightly maybe. But they have not spread nor have the spread to other fish. The tang seems to be eating pretty good he pecks on rocks for algae and eats a few pieces of mysis when I’m feeding everyday. Seems to be out and about swimming all day. Already posted this in general discussion but was told to put it in here.

IMG_9902.jpeg IMG_9901.jpeg IMG_9900.jpeg
I just had someone else a few minutes encountering this with his Hippo tang. These are known as mucus cones and often starts from a skin irritation and then develops and is at times mixed in with ich. Treatment will be using coppersafe or copper power in a separate quarantine tank treating at therapeutic level 2.25 for a full 30 days monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
If the other fish in the tank are not showing this issue, do monitor them and assure they dont become infected as in many cases they do not.
Yours has it on lateral line and I would assure good water quality and diet in addition to treatment

OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had someone else a few minutes encountering this with his Hippo tang. These are known as mucus cones and often starts from a skin irritation and then develops and is at times mixed in with ich. Treatment will be using coppersafe or copper power in a separate quarantine tank treating at therapeutic level 2.25 for a full 30 days monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
If the other fish in the tank are not showing this issue, do monitor them and assure they dont become infected as in many cases they do not.
Yours has it on lateral line and I would assure good water quality and diet in addition to treatment
I’m confused is mucus cones ich or is it just some injury or something. I saw that post your referencing but my tang does not has all those dots all over it.

OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding the mucus cones go away on their own and coppers just to get rid of ich. The store I got it from keeps new fish in copper. Do you think those 3 white dots are ich or will go away on their own?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 7 year old blue got these mucus cones 3 times in the last 4 years.
The came overnight and diminished daily until he was clean.

Took no action each time, basically cause I had no choice, no way he can be removed.

Except for those white “things” behaved 100% normal throughout the three weeks until gone.

No one else effected

OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 7 year old blue got these mucus cones 3 times in the last 4 years.
The came overnight and diminished daily until he was clean.

Took no action each time, basically cause I had no choice, no way he can be removed.

Except for those white “things” behaved 100% normal throughout the three weeks until gone.

No one else effected
Ok thank goodness I can stop worrying he looks fine I just wanted to make sure it’s not ich!

OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I can’t catch a break in this hobby lol. The tang seems to have a few spots on fins and now the royal gramma has some on his back fin as well. Do yall think this is ich I don’t have copper or a test kit for it but I do have a qt tank. They are eating great I just fed them and both of them were eating like crazy they only have been hiding for past 30 min because I put the tangs algae clip in.

Attachments

• IMG_9907.jpeg
    IMG_9907.jpeg
    193.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9908.jpeg
    IMG_9908.jpeg
    191 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9910.jpeg
    IMG_9910.jpeg
    191.9 KB · Views: 18

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I can’t catch a break in this hobby lol. The tang seems to have a few spots on fins and now the royal gramma has some on his back fin as well. Do yall think this is ich I don’t have copper or a test kit for it but I do have a qt tank. They are eating great I just fed them and both of them were eating like crazy they only have been hiding for past 30 min because I put the tangs algae clip in.
yeah, I’d start that quarantine procedure and add the royal gramma in with the tang when you do so

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn’t get great photos because they wouldn’t come out when I was trying to get a picture
If the Royal gramma has spots now I would definitely say you’re dealing with something contagious, likely ich. Do you have a reef tank or a FOWLR? I think it’s time to start treating before your fish start going south. There are reef safe products like Polyp Labs Medic that do work against ich if you start treating early and follow the instructions to a T. I have had great success managing ich with it in my tank recently.

OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the Royal gramma has spots now I would definitely say you’re dealing with something contagious, likely ich. Do you have a reef tank or a FOWLR? I think it’s time to start treating before your fish start going south. There are reef safe products like Polyp Labs Medic that do work against ich if you start treating early and follow the instructions to a T. I have had great success managing ich with it in my tank recently.
I have a reef tank.

OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mixed reef with LPS and SPS and I’ve used medic to treat ich in it. I haven’t lost any fish and the only coral I’ve lost was related to shipping stress and not an existing coral already in the tank.
Ok I will try that because it will be tough to catch my fish. The only success I heard with polyp lab medic is if you catch it very early

OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crossing my fingers for you. If less than 20 spots you’ve caught it early enough where medic should help.
Yeah I think it’s def less than 20 spots. I just added first dose I added 3 scoops because it said for serious infections add 3 scoops per 50 gallons. I’m just supposed to add it directly in correct? I will update what happens on here.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I think it’s def less than 20 spots. I just added first dose I added 3 scoops because it said for serious infections add 3 scoops per 50 gallons. I’m just supposed to add it directly in correct? I will update what happens on here.
I normally add it into my sump but it should be fine as long as you’re adding it to a high flow area where it doesn’t fall directly on a piece of coral.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 65 74.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back