Angels in a Mixed Reef Tank

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen where many members have asked about Angels in reef tanks. I thought it would be helpful to put together a thread for members to hear about our successes and failures trying to keep Angels in our tanks. Information about your system, the type of Angel you have, how large is the Angel, etc.

I'll start; my system is a CadLights 70G Artisan II with a mixed reef setup of @80% SPS, 15% LPS and 5% softies. I run NSW levels and keep filtration on the high side. My Angel is an Indonesian Regal Angel, Pygoplites diacanthus @ 4" long. I've had it for @1 year and it eats anything it can get in it's mouth. I do feed Nori sheets 2x week. It's housed with mostly wrasses and a Flame Tang, Blue Throat Trigger and a FoxFace Lo. It has left many of my corals alone but still likes to taste everything, especially if it's green. It did however take out my Master, Spaceinvader and Orange Scoly's... Can't win them all!
Thx for your input.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a coral beauty and a flame in a 65 gallon for a while. The coral beauty is a perpetual-motion machine who makes me nervous just watching her swim - but hasn't given any coral more than an exploratory nip, so far as I can tell. The flame, on the other hand, seems to have a taste for - or a thirst for vengeance upon - favias.

~Bruce

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried multiple dwarf angel species (coral beauty, bi-color, flame, golden) and had to remove them all due to coral picking/eating.

OP
OP
Salty1962

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

bump.gif

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why we all deserve 2 tanks ! One for corals & sissy fish & a fish only tank where one could have all the angels ,or anything else !

DRoth335

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For angels we have:
- 5" Goldflake
- 6" Blueface
- 5" Regal
- 2.5" flame
- 2" Potters
Also have 8-9" sailfin tang, 5" Moorish Idol, blue hippo tang, foxface, 2 clowns, mandarin and Pakistani butterfly.

It is an SPS dominant tank with a couple of leathers and green palys. A couple of zoa colonies did not fare well but otherwise has been pretty good. I know there is some polyp nipping but colonies are large enough to go spread it out where it is acceptable.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had an issue with dwarf angels in a mixed reef. I've kept coral beauties, flames and a potter's angel and never had any negative results. Not all together but all were kept well over a year in the tanks. I do feed heavy and a large variety of foods so maybe that had something to do with it.

Jessi_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a coral beauty, Ebli, and flame at one time and they didn't nip at corals and they got along, but we introduced them at the same time. No agression and no coral picking! I got lucky!

MightyMouse85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 7 inch blueface that didn't bother anything with the exception of scoly. I moved and had my buddy keep him for a year and munched on everything he put in the tank. All depends on the angel and how often you feed. Blue passed before I got him back but currently have a rock beauty and hasn't touched or nipped a thing. I feed 3 times a day though.

OP
OP
Salty1962

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For angels we have:
- 5" Goldflake
- 6" Blueface
- 5" Regal
- 2.5" flame
- 2" Potters
Also have 8-9" sailfin tang, 5" Moorish Idol, blue hippo tang, foxface, 2 clowns, mandarin and Pakistani butterfly.

It is an SPS dominant tank with a couple of leathers and green palys. A couple of zoa colonies did not fare well but otherwise has been pretty good. I know there is some polyp nipping but colonies are large enough to go spread it out where it is acceptable.
Wow! Like to see pictures. Keep it coming, great stuff.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back