Angler Fish tanks?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How many of you guys are keeping angler fish? I've often wanted to keep one, but I am pretty sure it wouldn't do well in my reef...err...maybe I should say my reef wouldn't do well bc of it. :) If you have one, are you keeping yours in a species only tank, or does it have compatible tank mates? Please post a pic so I can enjoy vicariously through you! LOL

CoralHut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anglers must be in a species only tank. Some people have had success with two Anglers of similar size but even in those systems it will only be a matter of time before one tries to eat the other. Anglers will also try to eat things too large to digest; resulting in the death of both denizens. I would not recommend trying to keep any fish with an angler that you don't want to risk losing.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anglers must be in a species only tank. Some people have had success with two Anglers of similar size but even in those systems it will only be a matter of time before one tries to eat the other. Anglers will also try to eat things too large to digest; resulting in the death of both denizens. I would not recommend trying to keep any fish with an angler that you don't want to risk losing.

Thanks for the info. That's pretty much what I was already thinking. I doubt I'd be getting one anytime soon (for the above mentioned reasons...I just don't have the space for a species only tank for now), so I'm just curious about them in general. I'm mostly just curious about what others' experiences have been like in keeping them, and hoping those who have them will post up some pics of their anglers. :)

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump!

butters417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always found them interesting, I'd be willing to setup a tank for one someday...I like the red/white painted ones

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 18 78.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back