Angler Floating

Averhoeven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My local Petco had a tiny Angler (painted I think) about the size of a pinky to thumb nail. He had been there 2 weeks and was feeding. I brought him home yesterday and put him in QT. It's a 10g QT with just some PVC, a heater and an air stone. I used water straight from the main tank to start the QT.

This afternoon I went to feed him and he was floating on the surface. I got worried and just tapped him. He swam down to the bottom. I fed him a large mysis and he ate it no problem and sat at the bottom for a bit. He then slowly started swimming around and eventually swam back to the surface. I came back again this evening and he was back there again.

I know they can get air trapped, particularly if maybe he gulped near the air stone or something? But the fact that he can swim around and be fine and eat etc makes me think that's not the case. Can that just be behavior since he only has the PVC and he's just looking for somewhere to hang?

Edit: I turned the lights in the room off about 15 mins ago and just went to check on him He's just chilling on the bottom of the tank. Do they respond to light?

Last edited:

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.5%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.0%
Back