Does this behavior seem like UNWD?

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Afternoon,

I received a shipment of Fish from Dr Reef and All is good except for my mystery Wrasse is acting strange. I slowly raised the salinity up to 1.025 from 1.021 all fish were in same bucket for this gradual acclimation all others are doing fine.

He was acting strange in the bucket often laying on surface see picture of him and then he doesnt seem to be able to swim normally. I just checked on him again and he was stuck to the overflow teeth. I though he had passed but I went to net him and he swam to the bottom

He is alive currently but please see video of behavior once he swam down.

I have talked to Dr Reef but still would like to know if this could be the issue

received_393245626382529.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The fish looks a little thin. I would contact Dr. Reef - who will likely be of more help - he has great customer service. In the meantime - I'm assuming you did not quarantine him? When a fish is pulled into something - more often than not - it's because its sick as compared to the issue causing an injury. Any more information you can give? Edit - the video is not visible to many browsers - if possible could you post it to YouTube and then link here?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Good Afternoon,

I received a shipment of Fish from Dr Reef and All is good except for my mystery Wrasse is acting strange. I slowly raised the salinity up to 1.025 from 1.021 all fish were in same bucket for this gradual acclimation all others are doing fine.

He was acting strange in the bucket often laying on surface see picture of him and then he doesnt seem to be able to swim normally. I just checked on him again and he was stuck to the overflow teeth. I though he had passed but I went to net him and he swam to the bottom

I have talked to Dr Reef but still would like to know if this could be the issue

Fish is thin and while not ruling out unwd, seems more lethargic behavior due to either edema in which fish not eating but feeding off liver or becoming moribund

OP
OP
tomtheturkey

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish looks a little thin. I would contact Dr. Reef - who will likely be of more help - he has great customer service. In the meantime - I'm assuming you did not quarantine him? When a fish is pulled into something - more often than not - it's because its sick as compared to the issue causing an injury. Any more information you can give?
I have talked to him we are all good there but I just got the shipment today and he went straight into observation tank after gradual salinity raise I have not tried to feed him yet

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS - it would be odd for UNWD to show up just suddenly - a shipping issue or acclimation issue seems more likely?

OP
OP
tomtheturkey

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS - it would be odd for UNWD to show up just suddenly - a shipping issue or acclimation issue seems more likely?
He was acting strange as soon as I took him out of the bag. All the other fish were acclimated in same bucket with the slow salinity uptick the others are fine even my copperband.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
He mostly swims tail up and it seems the current just pushes him around more than him swimming
Yes- he’s weak and becoming moribund which is a state where fish will not eat or breathe normal and no medication will help
You can increase oxygen and see if it responds
Assure ammonia level not elevated also
How did you acclimate fish and for how long?

Brandont21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had the same issue with a wrasse from dr reef. I kept lights low and he pulled through. Keep in touch with dr reef the entire time. He will make it right if it doesnt pull through. Customer service is top notch for this industry

OP
OP
tomtheturkey

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes- he’s weak and becoming moribund which is a state where fish will not eat or breathe normal and no medication will help
You can increase oxygen and see if it responds
Assure ammonia level not elevated also
How did you acclimate fish and for how long?
I acclimated for about an hour. I followed his acclimation guide. Removed from bag into fresh bucket of matching salinity at 1.021 took out 25% added 25% of 1.025 and waited 10 minutes and repeated steps until salinity matched.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Afternoon,

That does not look like UNWD. You can diagnosis this on tour own though - in every case, the wrasse will swim oddly, BUT will still eat or attempt to eat. I've also not recorded UNWD in this species.

More likely, this is shock from the salinity rise. You should, whenever possible, match the salinity of the receiving tank to the salinity that the fish will be shipped at (Dr. Reef can tell you that in advance).

Jay

OP
OP
tomtheturkey

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does not look like UNWD. You can diagnosis this on tour own though - in every case, the wrasse will swim oddly, BUT will still eat or attempt to eat. I've also not recorded UNWD in this species.

More likely, this is shock from the salinity rise. You should, whenever possible, match the salinity of the receiving tank to the salinity that the fish will be shipped at (Dr. Reef can tell you that in advance).

Jay
Yes sir I did I followed his guide here https://drreefsquarantinedfish.com/acclimation-guide/

I will keep monitoring and see what happens testing ammonia now just in case

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have talked to him we are all good there but I just got the shipment today and he went straight into observation tank after gradual salinity raise I have not tried to feed him yet
OK - so. you went from 1.021 specific gravity to 1.025 today? If I'm understanding? That change can cause neurological issue - which may be temporary.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should add an air stone if you have one, and if you don’t, make sure you have some surface agitation to increase oxygen/gas exchange.

Also, I’d be trying to feed the little guy. Fish don’t usually eat much in quarantine, and many haven’t eaten in a few days prior to shipping. Not to mention, shipping is tough.

I’ve experienced situations like this over the years and usually try and drop a few mysis shrimp every hour or so until they finally start eating. They tend to perk up once getting some food in their stomachs.

OP
OP
tomtheturkey

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should add an air stone if you have one, and if you don’t, make sure you have some surface agitation to increase oxygen/gas exchange.

Also, I’d be trying to feed the little guy. Fish don’t usually eat much in quarantine, and many haven’t eaten in a few days prior to shipping. Not to mention, shipping is tough.

I’ve experienced situations like this over the years and usually try and drop a few mysis shrimp every hour or so until they finally start eating. They tend to perk up once getting some food in their stomachs.
He seems to have ups and downs so far I will try to feed in a few minutes. He is not breathing fast at all. Thanks for the input

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He seems to have ups and downs so far I will try to feed in a few minutes. He is not breathing fast at all. Thanks for the input
IMHO this is not UNWD. I would be patient - it may be a couple days before eating - and either way - it whole not cause significant issue by not eating.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I acclimated for about an hour. I followed his acclimation guide. Removed from bag into fresh bucket of matching salinity at 1.021 took out 25% added 25% of 1.025 and waited 10 minutes and repeated steps until salinity matched.
Not far off from normal and increase may or may have not had impact. Lower lights as was suggested and see how fish looks over next 12-24 hours.

OP
OP
tomtheturkey

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to write and update everyone he pulled through and is doing great too great it seems haha
He actually was going after the foxface I had and nipped a tiny bit out of the tail fin on the fox.

Everyone is in the display now apart from the mystery hes in amongst my biomedia in the sump

I will have to decided if I will rehome unfortunately

But Thanks for the advice all.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back