Anglerfish together in one tank?

EYE-CANDY AQUATICS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want to get a 3-4 anglers of different varieties in a tank together. Is this possible if kept well fed? Would be in a 20 gallon currently but will have a 40 gallon when they get bigger.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, they sill cannibimize each other, this is nature, there is no way for you to manage this. It may happen immediately, it may take a year, if it doesnt happen, then you are one in one thousand.

A 20g would be fine for one of the smaller anglers, like a warty, or a pair of pygmys. Keeping a couple of wartys together may be possible, although I would not do it, I have seen these guys eat each also. These small ones dont seem to be such aggressive eaters and many times try to eat things at least a bit s.aller than themselves. So you have to manage their growth to be equal to each other.

It's not about keeping them well fed, they are insatiable, and will eat themselves to death. They can and will eat something equal to their own size and will attempt to eat something even larger. This usually ends in both their deaths.

At the end of the day, its not a good idea.

Jason Coy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with above and keeping then well-fed is not really going to help. The only chance you would have is to make sure that they were the exact same size at all times, even then it's a risk.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back