Annoying White slime mucus

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already saw it, sorry if i'm answering so fast i just want to fix this so bad lol...i saw it and thankfully it does not look like that or as ugly, what i'm dealing with is white clear in color, the pictures on that thread are like brown color and they are everywhere, not sure if it's the same
Like these?

AAF740ED-5B2E-4A56-B3C7-D87DDDF64DA8.jpeg
036F62AD-9B76-4FC6-B863-BAF2E2F7B4D1.jpeg

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've dealt with something similar. My course of action was to keep my equipment clean and do nothing else. I kept equipment clean because this would clog pumps quickly if it made its way into them. No idea what it is as I never got a positive id. It went away on its own in about 2 weeks.

OP
OP
G

Gaby_scan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been fighting it for 5 months already. Done everything you can imagine still the same.

Gonebad395

Anemone hound
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the stocking list of your tank?
Where did your rock come from was it live or dry? What’s your filtration on the tank? If you have macro algae is it all over that also? Sorry just missed about the sump in the original post but the question still stands about the maco

OP
OP
G

Gaby_scan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the stocking list of your tank?
Where did your rock come from was it live or dry? What’s your filtration on the tank? If you have macro algae is it all over that also?

Purple pseudochromis, 1 bangai cardinal, 2 small chromis, 1 skunk cleaner, 1 hammer head coral, 1 Lobos, 1 bubble coral, 1 torch coral, and a couple of polyp frags. The rock was on the tank already, i bought it with it so i reuse it with new water. I am running a 40g sump with a swc mini s cone skimmer and a little fishies 150 reactor running gfo(phosguard right now). The micro algae is on the rock but not every single one and i lowered my phosphates so it is starting to get better.

Gonebad395

Anemone hound
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok keep us updated with what I read until I posted I was wondering if it was your rocks leaching something into the tank.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The strings do say bacteria to me. But it’s not acting like it.

Let me tag someone smarter than me for the possible Chrysto , @reeferfoxx

And bacteria like this is usually because it’s being fed somehow.
So stopping the source of food is first. This the paint and spray nopox questions.
Otherwise a uv sterilizer is best.

OP
OP
G

Gaby_scan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The strings do say bacteria to me. But it’s not acting like it.

Let me tag someone smarter than me for the possible Chrysto , @reeferfoxx

And bacteria like this is usually because it’s being fed somehow.
So stopping the source of food is first. This the paint and spray nopox questions.
Otherwise a uv sterilizer is best.

Forgot to add i already have a uv...ran it for a long time, right now is off, didn't.notice any change while it was on.

OP
OP
G

Gaby_scan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i'm just gonna end up breaking this tank as this has become something way more than something troublesome

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i'm just gonna end up breaking this tank as this has become something way more than something troublesome
Hope you haven't tore it down yet. Sometimes allowing the tank to do its thing is the most simplest and easiest strategy to combating something. Feeding the tank, limiting water changes, and reducing filtration to only mechanical filtration, is all you need to do. That and giving it time.

OP
OP
G

Gaby_scan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you haven't tore it down yet. Sometimes allowing the tank to do its thing is the most simplest and easiest strategy to combating something. Feeding the tank, limiting water changes, and reducing filtration to only mechanical filtration, is all you need to do. That and giving it time.

Not yet lol...u said feed the tank? I am doing water changes every 3 weeks and u said only mechanical so no skimmer? Thanks

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not yet lol...u said feed the tank? I am doing water changes every 3 weeks and u said only mechanical so no skimmer? Thanks
Change water changes to once every 4 weeks and skimmers are considered mechanical filtration also. :)

I would let it ride for now. Try not to add any coral till this clears up. Fish additions are just fine. If after 3 months it gets worse, nitrate or KNO3 additions will help.

OP
OP
G

Gaby_scan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Change water changes to once every 4 weeks and skimmers are considered mechanical filtration also. :)

I would let it ride for now. Try not to add any coral till this clears up. Fish additions are just fine. If after 3 months it gets worse, nitrate or KNO3 additions will help.

Thank u will do, one last question, my phosphates get high without gfo, i mean really high, last time i check there where 0.2 i know that is a lot, should i take the gfo out either way??? I just added it cause that exact same reason

OP
OP
G

Gaby_scan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also how much should i change on every water change. I do 20% every 2 weeks, so just bump it to 40% every 4 weeks?

OP
OP
G

Gaby_scan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I basically run mechanical filtration only for 5 months, only a week since i added the gfo reactor

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 37.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back