Annoying White slime mucus

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank u will do, one last question, my phosphates get high without gfo, i mean really high, last time i check there where 0.2 i know that is a lot, should i take the gfo out either way??? I just added it cause that exact same reason
Sounds like you are for sure nitrate deficient. Increasing nitrates will help produce more bacteria to help consume phosphates. The white stuff likes nitrates and that is what is consuming it.

Once nitrates go up, youll see phosphates go down.
Also how much should i change on every water change. I do 20% every 2 weeks, so just bump it to 40% every 4 weeks?
No just keep the wc to 15 to 20%.

OP
OP
G

Gaby_scan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you are for sure nitrate deficient. Increasing nitrates will help produce more bacteria to help consume phosphates. The white stuff likes nitrates and that is what is consuming it.

Once nitrates go up, youll see phosphates go down.

No just keep the wc to 15 to 20%.

Thank u, yes i have been trying to raise my nitrates with more feeding, more fish but it just doesn't go up and my phosphates go through the roof,also when i take the gfo out,phosphates start going up again.

OP
OP
G

Gaby_scan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would remove this to reduce anymore headaches down the road.

Ok, but what should i do when my phosphates go very high? Sorry for all the questions but this slime problem has me a bit frustrated

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank u, yes i have been trying to raise my nitrates with more feeding, more fish but it just doesn't go up and my phosphates go through the roof,also when i take the gfo out,phosphates start going up again.
Like I said, leaving the tank be will help. It took maybe 2 months for my tank to show an increase in nitrates with added fish. Mostly because invader algae can either consume the bacteria that would normally process ammonia or consume the nitrate. The quicker fix is dosing nitrates like brightwells neo nitro or a powdered(cheaper long term route) mix of potassium nitrate or sodium nitrate.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly though, taking the longer more simpler approach will be easier on you and your pocket. Often times dosing up nutrients requires us to test more often. Also, if the shift from white mucus to beneficial bacteria happens fast, some die off will happen. That will increase your chance of having cyano bacteria.

OP
OP
G

Gaby_scan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly though, taking the longer more simpler approach will be easier on you and your pocket. Often times dosing up nutrients requires us to test more often. Also, if the shift from white mucus to beneficial bacteria happens fast, some die off will happen. That will increase your chance of having cyano bacteria.

Thank you for your help, i will apply all the ideas you gave me and see how it goes, hopefully it will clear and will have a nice looking tank(fingers crossed)

Tofik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Can you let me know how it went for you ? I hope you were able to fight it for good.

OP
OP
G

Gaby_scan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Can you let me know how it went for you ? I hope you were able to fight it for good.

Hello tofik, yes i manage to get my tank on check now it's very pleasant to look at everyday...i would say my problem was my phosphates out of wack, apparently what i was using to test was not good. So i spent the money and bought the hannah tester and wow my phosphates were trough the roof, so instead of turning of the gfo i let it run and surely enough after like 2 weeks all the slime was gone. Also as my phosphates started to go down my nitrates went a bit up and i think balanced my system. I'm very positive that was the culprit of my problems, if not then i guess time just fixed it lol.

floridafinestreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello tofik, yes i manage to get my tank on check now it's very pleasant to look at everyday...i would say my problem was my phosphates out of wack, apparently what i was using to test was not good. So i spent the money and bought the hannah tester and wow my phosphates were trough the roof, so instead of turning of the gfo i let it run and surely enough after like 2 weeks all the slime was gone. Also as my phosphates started to go down my nitrates went a bit up and i think balanced my system. I'm very positive that was the culprit of my problems, if not then i guess time just fixed it lol.
So you you saying gfo fixed this

Sujanreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue for about a month. Nothing was working. I was doing 50% water change every week on 120litre tank. I managed to solve it by adding carbon reactor and snails. Snails were helping some bits that were left on the rocks. Snails seems to like eating slime but at very slow rate. After adding the carbon reactor. All the slimes were gone in 4 days. Some left on rocks took 2-3 weeks to go which was mostly eaten my snails.

witchywoman725

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers, this will be my first post and i hope i can find some help on this matter, i have had this reef tank for about 5 months and like in the second month i started getting this mucus slowly,but it just kept growing and growing and has become an endless battle, no matter what i do it won't go away. I've done countless water changes, clean the rock, feed a lot less, dr tims products and nothing seems to work. I am just out of options and this think has me on top of my tank like a religion and it is pretty frustrating. I'm just hoping someone in this forum can help me. Thank u in advance
My system is a 75g with a 40g sump and swc mini s cone skimmer,also just added a little fishies gfo reactor cause my phosphates where getting high.
So I have been struggling with something similar...see my thread for pictures: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/opaque-film.997889/
It's really hard to get off in one piece so I finally took a whole rock into my LFS since they have a marine biologist on staff 1 day a week. He checked it under the microscope and said it was definitely bacteria, but he could ID which one exactly. It's all over my tank, and stressing out my fish. I beat it back once about a year ago with maracyn but that didn't seem to work this time... I'm gonna completely kill my GFO and slow way down on my feeding (hard with a huge predator tank) and see if that helps. If not I will have to pull the entire tank apart and let it go fallow for awhile... UGH! If you find anything that works please let me know!!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back