another basic Apex Fusion question

beachsidereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, well I'm still struggling with setting up my Apex, this time with my heater and to be more specific; the Hysteresis setting so the heater doesn't constantly cycle on and off based in small variations of the temp. On my old controller, I set the Hysteresis to 1 degree.

so looking in the manual I see on page 62 the concept of Hysteresis is discussed

Here's where I'm confused. I log into http://apex.local/ and select the outlet the heater is plugged into on the power bar. I go to the drop down menu labeled Control Type and select heater. this changes the configuration window on the right and I can enter a on and off temp range. This all makes sense to me!

Where I'm stumped is I can't figure out how to enter a Hysteresis of 1 degree in this configuration window?

Thanks all for the help, I'm sure this is a super simple question!

mcdrichj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are looking to do this I would honestly get a heater that doesn't have a sensor and use a temperature controller like:

If you run that off of your energy bar you will make the relay in the energy bar keep turning on and off many times a day since the energy bars are kinda expensive I wouldn't want to burn out a relay in that so I would use a 30 dollar temp controller and you can control the temperature delta.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Switch the drop Down to advanced Then you can add in all of the other lines mentioned in the manual.

OP
OP
B

beachsidereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Switch the drop Down to advanced Then you can add in all of the other lines mentioned in the manual.

ok, so anytime I see lines of code in the manual, such as Hysteresis, I need to always use the Advance choice in the drop-down vs. the other control types such as heater?

OP
OP
B

beachsidereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are looking to do this I would honestly get a heater that doesn't have a sensor and use a temperature controller like:

If you run that off of your energy bar you will make the relay in the energy bar keep turning on and off many times a day since the energy bars are kinda expensive I wouldn't want to burn out a relay in that so I would use a 30 dollar temp controller and you can control the temperature delta.

makes sense, thank you for the suggestion

mcdrichj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I plan to do with mine I use my energy bar as an emergency shutoff. With my luck I would blow just that one relay and its 250 to replace the energy bay and 35 for that temp controller if your relay goes.

OP
OP
B

beachsidereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

one more question!

in the manual it says:

Hysteresis in the context of the Apex controller is preventing a condition where the outlet state rapidly changes between ON and OFF based on the event you are testing.

Consider the following program:
If Temp > 78.5 Then ON If Temp < 78.5 Then OFF

As you might imagine, the outlet will be bouncing between ON and OFF as the temperature rises and falls by 1/10 of a degree. That’s easily solved by modifying those statements.

So exactly how should I modify those statements? The manual says it's "easily solved" but it doesn't explain to an idiot like me, how exactly those statements should be modified.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My interpretation was that you should modify it to be less precise. Like I used to have two heaters controlling the temp from 78.5 to 78.5 and shutting off at 78.9, but I've adjusted it to only turn on if it drops full degrees. Here's how I have it set up, but I should point out that I'm an APEX novice so, keeping this thread bumped, hopefully someone with more experience might be able to provide a different response.

Heater1:
Fallback OFF
If Tmp < 77.5 Then ON
If Tmp > 78.5 Then OFF
If FeedA 005 Then OFF

Heater2:
Fallback OFF
If Tmp < 78.1 Then ON
If Tmp > 79.0 Then OFF
If FeedA 005 Then OFF

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back