Another fish dead for no apparent reason?

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. Few months ago I lost 2 clownfish for a bacterial infection. Then a month later my YWG died for some reason. He showed some symptoms of the bacterial infection but seemed it was recovering and only had a small scar where the infection was few weeks before. Now after 2 months I found my green chromis dead! It looked fine, was eating and everything. Was very active. I only noticed that it was breathing quite fast but I did not check before how fast was breathing (my bad, I promised myself before to measure breathing rates in my fish to have a baseline for the future but I kept forgetting).
Am I doing something wrong? Corals are fine and my only 2 fish left are fine and eating. The only thing that I could think of, 2 days ago I glued a frag in the tank and a drop of superglue fell in the water. The chromis went for eating it but I did not see if it actually spit it out or ate it for real.
Is it something that someone experienced before?
I only have 2 fish left in 32g now and I can't even get more because the sixline is an Axx with newcomers.
Do you think I should go fallow for precaution for a couple of months?
IMG-20220907-WA0012.jpg
IMG-20220907-WA0013.jpg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, just me myself and I, losing 4 fish in about 4 months would cause me to look at the basics of my tank. Temperature, surface agitation, leaking electricity into the water, proper flow in the tank, enough food for all.........

4 months is a long time and you dont really indicate disease so its hard, for me, to point the finger at disease.

it could also just be bad luck and coincidence.

In your case, just my 2 cents, I would not go fallow, there is no evidence that it will benefit. Anyway, hope others have better idea's, good luck.

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, just me myself and I, losing 4 fish in about 4 months would cause me to look at the basics of my tank. Temperature, surface agitation, leaking electricity into the water, proper flow in the tank, enough food for all.........

4 months is a long time and you dont really indicate disease so its hard, for me, to point the finger at disease.

it could also just be bad luck and coincidence.

In your case, just my 2 cents, I would not go fallow, there is no evidence that it will benefit. Anyway, hope others have better idea's, good luck.
I mean I cannot imagine any parameter being so off that would kill SOME fish without bothering corals. Temperatures are in check (I have a reef-pi controller so I can look at any moment if there were weird fluctuations). Surface agitation is great and I also have a skimmer running just for the purpose of oxygenating water and keeping pH under control. I feed half cube of mysis or half cube of homemade seafood blend every day for 3 fish. Electricity in the water...I check from time to time. I have some stray voltage but nothing crazy, like 10V due to heaters and pumps (Its more induced voltage I guess).

I make sure fish eat everyday and that they are active and do not show any weird symptoms.

Hopefully someone has an idea.. I have a sixline and a bicolor blenny left and I would hate to end up with them dead because of something I did wrong.

Prehistoric Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the sixline picking on the other fish? I know if the fish get stressed, it can lower their immune system and get sick. Or it could be something else. I have experience this where some of my fish died in the pass few months and my coral are thriving. With my experience it was because my lfs gave me crappy fish and that is why they died. I don't think it is water parameters because you said your coral is doing fine. I place my bets on something that is causing the fish to get stressed. It could be the sixline, messing with the tank to much, or something else.

Also chromis fish are known to pick each other off.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a photo under white light? The blue light limits the contrast to view the chromis. Chromis are susceptible to uronema, and while it isn't obvious in the photo, a picture under white lights will be helpful.

Pictures of other fish would also be helpful.

Have you ever had any parasitic infections such as ich or velvet or brooklynella?

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the sixline picking on the other fish? I know if the fish get stressed, it can lower their immune system and get sick. Or it could be something else. I have experience this where some of my fish died in the pass few months and my coral are thriving. With my experience it was because my lfs gave me crappy fish and that is why they died. I don't think it is water parameters because you said your coral is doing fine. I place my bets on something that is causing the fish to get stressed. It could be the sixline, messing with the tank to much, or something else.

Also chromis fish are known to pick each other off.
I have seen from time to time the sixline chasing the chromis but nothing crazy. Also I noticed no wounds or stuff like that. If it was a slow thing with the sixline picking on it few times per day when I was not looking I guess it would be a possibility. I just find it a bit weird because with the bicolor blenny they seem to cohexist. The other day I have seen the sixline cleaning the blenny's gills or something like that with the blenny letting him do his stuff.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Superglue in the water isn't really an issue unless you use a huge amount of it. I do have a couple of references to fish dying after ingesting it though - not toxic, but causing problems with their mouths.

I agree with the idea that this is probably a combination of factors, not all related. I don't think running the tank completely fallow will buy you much. I would wait 45 days before adding any new fish, and then, those fish should go through a full quarantine (or process is listed here, and it takes longer than 45 days anyways).

Jay

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a photo under white light? The blue light limits the contrast to view the chromis. Chromis are susceptible to uronema, and while it isn't obvious in the photo, a picture under white lights will be helpful.

Pictures of other fish would also be helpful.

Have you ever had any parasitic infections such as ich or velvet or brooklynella?
No unfortunately is gone in the trash bin already.
Can uronema affect other fish? What would be the symptoms?
I had those 2 clowns dying for some kind of bacterial infection.
I link the thread below where there are the pics of the thing the clowns had and Jay suggested it was bacterial.
But I did not notice anything like that in the chromis, and I spend at least 30 mins every day checking carefully fish and corals for making sure everything is ok.

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20220907-182940_Video Player.jpg

@threebuoys
Here is the best I can do with my phone. The sixline is darting constantly around so I can't get it less blurry sorry

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Superglue in the water isn't really an issue unless you use a huge amount of it. I do have a couple of references to fish dying after ingesting it though - not toxic, but causing problems with their mouths.

I agree with the idea that this is probably a combination of factors, not all related. I don't think running the tank completely fallow will buy you much. I would wait 45 days before adding any new fish, and then, those fish should go through a full quarantine (or process is listed here, and it takes longer than 45 days anyways).

Jay
Thanks for the reply Jay.
I might be just very unlucky then :(
I won't add any new fish anyway because the sixline won't let me. I will probably find a new home for it and then consider how to re-stock in a couple of months, just to be on the safe side.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 149 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back