Another GBTA in Powerhead! Help!

Stlouphil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a GBTA yesterday. I acclimated, turned all the pumps off and found a nice crevice to put him in. After 3 hours I turned the return pump on. An hour later I turned on the first Gyre 3k and an our later turned on the second. After and hour I checked on him and what do you know he is stuck on one of the Gyre. Arrrggghhh! I peeled him off and fired up the the activated carbon. I put him in the sump.

I checked him out this morning. The oral disk is in good, he has a slight tear in the body at the edge before the tenacles begin and he looks like he has gone 15 round with Muhammed Ali. LOL

The question is how long do I keep him in the sump? I only have a 15w daylight bulb on him. Just seems he would do better in the tank. What do I do differently? I really thought I took my time and was patient.

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get him in your display tank as soon as possible.

I found my BTA on the power head one morning when I first got him, difference was I put the Vortech sponge head protectors on so he wasn't damaged at all.

Do Maxspect not make any kind of protector for the Gyre so it can't damage nems?

You won't be able to sleep at night unless you can put something over it. You might have to improvise, but once your nem settles (which could take several weeks) you can remove the protection.

Vincent100

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha this pumps been off for a month
He won't bloody move lol :mad:
Luckily I caught him just as he moved on to it
So I managed to turn the pump off in time

IMG_20171120_195436.jpg

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get powerhead guards or fashion one yourself. Not worth the risk.

My Gyre XF-130 has a new mesh guard from a XF-230 on it. Even when my dumb BTA faceplanted into it, he was easy to take off and was not damaged at all.

OP
OP
Stlouphil

Stlouphil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all your help. Put the mesh on the Gyre. Put the Nem back into the display tank. Helped him settle into a crevice. Boy, I hope he recovers. Very pretty. Green with gold tips.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back