Another generic algae question!

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bad GHA outbreak in my main DT in past. I have tried adding various CUC, sea hares, and blennies with no luck. With out any specific treatment it just started coming off the rocks and shifted to my sump/fuge and has since been absent from my DTs.

To date, and since I've been implementing to use of Rowaphos instead of standard GFO to reduce PO4, the sump algae has been reduced too. I heavily feed my tank, so I needed a new method to compensate feeding a medium/large zebra moray eel + other inhabitants as well.

Another method to attempt if it has not been tried: Maybe try aggressively starving the tank and "algae" of PO4 via some media along with a maintained tempo of manual removal to see if it can be impacted that way. Just a thought.

In addition, has the PO4 levels been validated against some outside source (e.g local LFS, close reefing buddy, ICP...etc...)? Just to see if results are similar to home testing results.

OP
OP
I

instantaquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bad GHA outbreak in my main DT in past. I have tried adding various CUC, sea hares, and blennies with no luck. With out any specific treatment it just started coming off the rocks and shifted to my sump/fuge and has since been absent from my DTs.

To date, and since I've been implementing to use of Rowaphos instead of standard GFO to reduce PO4, the sump algae has been reduced too. I heavily feed my tank, so I needed a new method to compensate feeding a medium/large zebra moray eel + other inhabitants as well.

Another method to attempt if it has not been tried: Maybe try aggressively starving the tank and "algae" of PO4 via some media along with a maintained tempo of manual removal to see if it can be impacted that way. Just a thought.

In addition, has the PO4 levels been validated against some outside source (e.g local LFS, close reefing buddy, ICP...etc...)? Just to see if results are similar to home testing results.
Well, I think the PO4 results are so low because the algae is just sucking them up.

I haven't touched the tank in weeks and the algae seems to be getting lighter and weaker looking, but I also had to feed my fish. I think I'm going to start small weekly water changes and see where that takes me, as not feeding the tank for a while seems to have done something.

OP
OP
I

instantaquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20210918-125806_Gallery.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back