Another Kick-Ich discussion

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks!
I would like to have a discussion about Ruby Reef Kick-Ich.
Not copper. Not going fallow. I realize that those two things are the preferred methods, but those two methods are not always feasible to alot of people.
So, Kick-Ich.
For those of us who have used it, have we been expecting it to do something that it wasn't meant to be used for? To kill Ich that is already present on the fish? Almost every negative review says that it did not work and that Ich was still on the fish. However, it's not meant for that. It says on the bottle, "not for the treatment of Ich". It's pretty easy to miss that sentence, but it is there. So, it is not meant for treating the fish that already have Ich. It is used to kill the Ich at the infectious stage. More of a prophylactic than a cure.
I did a kick ich regimen a few months ago when one of my fish had Ich, expecting it to cure the ich on the fish. The fish died anyway. However, none of the remaining fish in that tank have gotten it since and that is with adding a fish or two without quarantining. Is that because I was lucky? Or is it because the Kick-Ich worked as it is labeled to do?
So, is Kick-Ich another option, besides copper and fallow, to eradicate(not treat) Ich?
I expect responses saying that going fallow is the only way to eradicate Ich, but again, that is not always feasible.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bottom line is that nothing that will stop ich in its tracks is something that you can dose in your DT, as simple as that.
In that case it would have to be something that somehow singles out the ich parasite and leaves everything else unaffected.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich isn’t super infectious in most cases and healthy fish deal with it well.

You can literally do nothing and not have ich infect the next fish. We can’t be sure kick ich did anything at all.

correlation does not imply causation

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately that stuff does not work at all.....anything safe enough for inverts isn't strong enough to kill parasites, regardless of the life stage of the parasite. Your existing (and new fish) could just have a strong enough immune system to be suppressing any major infestation.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 43 40.6%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 16 15.1%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.8%
Back