Another new Aquamaxx HOB 1.5 Skimmer thread (overflowing so fast I cannot break it in over time)

bill.mccrary42

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First saltwater setup please be gentle! I've read a lot of threads re. this skimmer, and people have various ways to solve the overflowing issue. I'm fine if it needs a long break in period, I just need it to be able to run without overflowing all over my floor. For me, it is overflowing so fast, the collection cup is just full of saltwater in ~3-4 minutes, so I can't even let it run for the weeks it needs to break in. Here are the details:

• 50g (40g breeder footprint)
  • Brand new tank, on day 4 of the Red Sea Reef Mature program
    • This program says to run with a skimmer, so I want to assume there isn't anything in there that would make a new skimmer go nuts
  • I have the cup at its highest possible setting
  • Skimmer produces a crazy amount of foam, it rushes right to the top and overflows into the collection cup - the top starting overflowing ~3-4 minutes after power on
  • I've added a valve to the airline but I don't think its a good one, it seems some air is sneaking in when fully closed - if anyone wants to post a specific valve or something that is air tight and will fit the hose that is on this skimmer I'd appreciate it
    • If I do pinch the line to the point where zero air is getting in, then as folks expect, the water level just rises and leaks out of the body of the skimmer onto the floor
So, do I just need a better air valve setup? Is there some additive that will not affect my cycle but lessen the bubbles? I just don't know how to get this thing broken in when it has to be emptied ever 5 mins. Thanks in advance everyone.

Edit - tomorrow I'm going to setup a large tub of saltwater, and just plop the whole skimmer in the tub, and let it run till something changes. If that works I'll report back here for the next person who searches for this issue.

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason they recommend running the skimmer is because the Red Sea Reef Mature program contains NOPOX - which can lower oxygen in the tank. Personally, I'd turn the skimmer off until cycling is complete (if you have a powerhead to augment flow, stick with that instead; if not, add a powerhead to augment flow). Been there, done that (twice).

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A vinegar rinse can sometimes speed in breaking in. New skimmers have left over stuff from manufacturing that makes them nutty.

It’s actually nice getting a used skimmer, no break in period. Ha!

OP
OP
B

bill.mccrary42

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses folks. This morning I added the skimmer to a tub of fresh saltwater and the bubble volume is nowhere near the volume in the tank, not overflowing at all even with cup at midway point, so I want to assume its that NOPOX causing it... What I failed to consider re. the reef mature instructions, was that most people are running a skimmer in their sump, so crazy overflowing on a new unpopulated tank isn't an issue - their instructions just don't call out HOB skimmer which I guess is the minority. Lesson learned there, any future instructions for anything I need to consider that I have an HOB vs a sump.

Some new questions:
  • Re. the vinegar mix - is this a decent starting point?
  • Re. the NOPOX & oxygen issue, I guess that is because the growing bacteria need (lots?) of oxygen to grow at their best speed. I do have 1 power filter + 1 HOB refugium (no chaeto yet, just HW) + 2 smallish wavemakers (vortech's on the way). I'll add another spare one I have but do you think I've 'damaged' my cycle at all by not having the extra oxygen than an in-sump setup would have had?
  • Roughly how long would you guess I need to wait after my cycle before adding it back? I have to add clean up crew on day 10 and 1st fish on day 14. Not sure when I'll have enough bio load to get the skimmer to break in properly. I guess its an ongoing calibration and I just need to figure it out over time. Any tips are certainly appreciated!
Thanks again folks!

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this skimmer for 3 or 4 years. It's been pretty good for a hang on back and still produces.

Back