Another question about cleaning acrylic. What to use on magnet cleaner for gentle wiping?

dochou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers, I have a 150 Midwest Customs mixed reef tank with oolitic fine sand bottom.
I have been using Algae Free acrylic safe pad and it's worked well. But I want to see if there is anything better to put on my magnet cleaner. I've experimented with Dobi Pads and Magic Eraser Pads and they both scratch acrylic. I know many people use them and don't see any scratches when looking in at a wet/filled tank, but If they drained their tanks, then they'd see tons of fine scratches or swirl marks. I want to prevent that. I think it affects the clarity of the tank.
I used to use Dobi and Magic Eraser on my previous tank and when I took it down I could see it was covered in fine scratches.

I took some spare clean, new acrylic and used dobi on one section and ME on the other section, after using them I definitely saw the scratches, on the new acrylic.

My main goal is to use something gentle on the acrylic that does not cause micro scratches and swirls when I do the daily wipe off of the film algae. For anything more adherent, I'll use a credit card scraper. I want to avoid putting my arms in the tank, so I like using the magnetic cleaner but I just need to put a padding on it that's gentle on the acrylic but strong enough to remove daily film algae.

Any suggestions?
Has anyone tried lining the inside magnet with a microfiber towel? Would that work?

Thanks for any advice.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 1" acrylic and bought a $$$ magnet, but can't remember the name now.

It came with acrylic pads that never scratched anything.

I would take the magnet out after cleaning and make sure no sand / etc... got between the pad and the tank.

I did notice overtime light swirling on the front side of the tank. But mainly only pictures where direct sun was hitting the tank and the lights were off.

OP
OP
dochou

dochou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 1" acrylic and bought a $$$ magnet, but can't remember the name now.

It came with acrylic pads that never scratched anything.

I would take the magnet out after cleaning and make sure no sand / etc... got between the pad and the tank.

I did notice overtime light swirling on the front side of the tank. But mainly only pictures where direct sun was hitting the tank and the lights were off.
I believe you're talking about the Mighty Magnets and you're right, they are expensive!
I'd like to avoid swirl marks.
Thanks for your input.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you're talking about the Mighty Magnets and you're right, they are expensive!
I'd like to avoid swirl marks.
Thanks for your input.

Sounds right :)

I was blown away with how badly magic markers scratched btw...

I did do the least aggressive novus on the outside of the tank from time to time to remove the swirls.

Interior swirls, you'd never see.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back