Another acrylic cleaning question! What can I use that does not scratch?

dochou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers, I have a 150 Midwest Customs mixed reef tank with oolitic fine sand bottom.
I have been using Algae Free acrylic safe pad and it's worked well. But I want to see if there is anything better to put on my magnet cleaner. I've experimented with Dobi Pads and Magic Eraser Pads and they both scratch acrylic. I know many people use them and don't see any scratches when looking in at a wet/filled tank, but If they drained their tanks, then they'd see tons of fine scratches or swirl marks. I want to prevent that. I think it affects the clarity of the tank.
I used to use Dobi and Magic Eraser on my previous tank and when I took it down I could see it was covered in fine scratches.

I took some spare clean, new acrylic and used dobi on one section and ME on the other section, after using them I definitely saw the scratches, on the new acrylic.

My main goal is to use something gentle on the acrylic that does not cause micro scratches and swirls when I do the daily wipe off of the film algae. For anything more adherent, I'll use a credit card scraper. I want to avoid putting my arms in the tank, so I like using the magnetic cleaner but I just need to put a padding on it that's gentle on the acrylic but strong enough to remove daily film algae.

Any suggestions?
Has anyone tried lining the inside magnet with a microfiber towel? Would that work?

Thanks for any advice.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers, I have a 150 Midwest Customs mixed reef tank with oolitic fine sand bottom.
I have been using Algae Free acrylic safe pad and it's worked well. But I want to see if there is anything better to put on my magnet cleaner. I've experimented with Dobi Pads and Magic Eraser Pads and they both scratch acrylic. I know many people use them and don't see any scratches when looking in at a wet/filled tank, but If they drained their tanks, then they'd see tons of fine scratches or swirl marks. I want to prevent that. I think it affects the clarity of the tank.
I used to use Dobi and Magic Eraser on my previous tank and when I took it down I could see it was covered in fine scratches.

I took some spare clean, new acrylic and used dobi on one section and ME on the other section, after using them I definitely saw the scratches, on the new acrylic.

My main goal is to use something gentle on the acrylic that does not cause micro scratches and swirls when I do the daily wipe off of the film algae. For anything more adherent, I'll use a credit card scraper. I want to avoid putting my arms in the tank, so I like using the magnetic cleaner but I just need to put a padding on it that's gentle on the acrylic but strong enough to remove daily film algae.

Any suggestions?
Has anyone tried lining the inside magnet with a microfiber towel? Would that work?

Thanks for any advice.
Anything that touches acrylic is gonna leave super fine swirls even a microfiber.. if you’re that worried it you can get some micro mesh and polish them out easily enough but again when you wipe it dry those tiny hairline swirls will come back. What you’ve mentioned is best for our needs “magic eraser and credit card” you could use the felt side of Velcro like the flipper uses..

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any suggestions?

Thanks for any advice.
How thick is the tank? Mag float for acrylic works great, just use the plastic scraper and make sure to be very careful around sand bed. That area ia where the scraper comes in. Do not want any sand getting between the pad.

If thicker acrylic, I would suggest a Mighty Mag. This can also come in handy to remove scratches. They have a kit to go along with their cleaner mag that allows you to sand/polish the tank while it is running. I have had to do this quite a few times and it works great.

OP
OP
dochou

dochou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How thick is the tank? Mag float for acrylic works great, just use the plastic scraper and make sure to be very careful around sand bed. That area ia where the scraper comes in. Do not want any sand getting between the pad.

If thicker acrylic, I would suggest a Mighty Mag. This can also come in handy to remove scratches. They have a kit to go along with their cleaner mag that allows you to sand/polish the tank while it is running. I have had to do this quite a few times and it works great.
Thanks for the advice @Eagle_Steve.
Does using the Mighty Mag to sand the inside of the tank cause any problems with the corals/fish? Does the particulate acrylic from sanding hurt anything? Do you have to do any thing special to filter it out?
I saw the "LA Fish Guy" video where they used the mighty mag to remove scratches. He made his own sand paper pads; I might try that.

OP
OP
dochou

dochou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything that touches acrylic is gonna leave super fine swirls even a microfiber.. if you’re that worried it you can get some micro mesh and polish them out easily enough but again when you wipe it dry those tiny hairline swirls will come back. What you’ve mentioned is best for our needs “magic eraser and credit card” you could use the felt side of Velcro like the flipper uses..
Thanks @Troylee. I agree. So far anything and everything I've tried, causes microscratches and swirl marks. I guess it's unavoidable.
Has anyone tried using the same felt found on the Outside of the magnet? Felt on the outside seems gentle and might be good enough for wiping the inside too! I'll have to do some experimenting on this.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice @Eagle_Steve.
Does using the Mighty Mag to sand the inside of the tank cause any problems with the corals/fish? Does the particulate acrylic from sanding hurt anything? Do you have to do any thing special to filter it out?
I saw the "LA Fish Guy" video where they used the mighty mag to remove scratches. He made his own sand paper pads; I might try that.
It does not affect a thing from my experience. Well, outdid the skimmer making some nasty white stuff as it pulls out the dust.

Start here in an older build thread of mine. Tanks are down now, but you will see the progress from before to after and all of the grinds used. Then you can hop a few pages back and forward to look at the inhabitants. This was also on a dual system (2 tanks single sump) with very sensitive critters.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0

Any suggestions?

Thanks for any advice.
Please do NOT use a magnet .

I was given reimbursements back on both magnet and sleeves I purchased for scratching my tank with light scratches as mentioned above. I regret it . I had to explain my process how careful I was when using them and that it was a brand new 3/4 acrylic tank so I know there was no previous scratches

What has worked for me and I’m glad I found it . I cut them in half and once done with them for the day I throw them out to prevent it breaking down in my tank the next time I use it. Super cheap - MELAMINE SPONGE

Melamine sponge 100% organic no dyes or products in it . Works like a Charm !

I still refrain from using any scraper or plastic . I clean every other day to prevent Corraline algae otherwise I’ll carefullly with my nail and sponge erase it off .

Attachments

• 7A260308-93C5-4E5B-9F73-59F74AABEEF8.png
    7A260308-93C5-4E5B-9F73-59F74AABEEF8.png
    196.1 KB · Views: 56

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any suggestions?

Thanks for any advice.
Try mighty magnets

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 47.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back