Possible Divorce Frag Build

Current State:

In process of tearing down all tanks and putting things in tanks in the house.

One tank down and one to go.

IMG_7678.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very impressed with your results Eagle Steve, I was given a 70 gallon cube for free, with rounded corners. Its beat up, I am going to redo it (with no water in it) once I get this new roof on, second walkin and patio cover on. Tearing the old part of the bedroom roof off today...
Hit me up if you want some tips/tricks. I have polished a ton of tanks (wet and dry).

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could have stopped at 10k and the tank would have been fine. But at least with 12k and 15k, doing by hand is not bad. Especially in an empty tank. No worse than waxing a car at that point.
I used to have a good size car cleaning and new paint refinishing company (we sanded and buffed newly painted cars or sections for a body shop) in NY. I could make cars top coats look like glass, even black cars while under the lights we used to "see the top coat" as best as I can describe it. The lights and you had to learn how to look and used angles to see the top coat... kinda like how you look a diamonds, sides and top facet.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, for once I took before photos lol.

Front panel viewed from now polished side. I even cleaned off the algae before the pic lol. Horrible and that is zero sanding done.
IMG_7470.JPG

Full front shot. You may have to zoom in to see all the scratches. Look at the hazing from sand to 8" up. Notice the side that is done is basically a mirror now. Once the front is done it should look exactly like a mirror.
IMG_7471.jpg

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a good size car cleaning and new paint refinishing company (we sanded and buffed newly painted cars or sections for a body shop) in NY. I could make cars top coats look like glass, even black cars while under the lights we used to "see the top coat" as best as I can describe it. The lights and you had to learn how to look and used angles to see the top coat... kinda like how you look a diamonds, sides and top facet.
I understand completely. I took my brand new ride and polished the crap out of it. Then 3 coat of ceramic coat lol. I do not like swirl marks or orange peel. Even new cars end up with some. Granted, I did not buy a 150k car this go around, but still. I want it to look good lol.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Played around with grit steps a little. Skipped some in between grits to see how it worked out.

It was a little bit more effort to go from one to the next, but less effort than one to next lol.

Excuse the lights going blue to white to blue. I have them setup for tons of cloud cover/ramp up/ ramp down

All scratches came out using 600, so was happy about that. I ended up using hand power vs the magnet for scratches and feathering, so just did the whole tank by hand. Only being 18" deep made this easy, well at least easy to reach. Arms are a little wore out, as I was able to apply more pressure when sanding.

I still have the 15k to go, remove some scratches (very light) from the outside and then buff the tank. Not bad for a 7' tank (yes it is 18" deep with 16" waterline and 32" wide, but still a large tank lol) to be completed by lunch time. Well 20 minutes form luch, so back to it lol.

600 grit
IMG_7472.jpg

1000 grit
IMG_7473.jpg

2500 grit
IMG_7474.jpg

5000 grit
IMG_7475.jpg

8000 grit
IMG_7476.jpg

12000 grit
IMG_7477.jpg

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Played around with grit steps a little. Skipped some in between grits to see how it worked out.

It was a little bit more effort to go from one to the next, but less effort than one to next lol.

Excuse the lights going blue to white to blue. I have them setup for tons of cloud cover/ramp up/ ramp down

All scratches came out using 600, so was happy about that. I ended up using hand power vs the magnet for scratches and feathering, so just did the whole tank by hand. Only being 18" deep made this easy, well at least easy to reach. Arms are a little wore out, as I was able to apply more pressure when sanding.

I still have the 15k to go, remove some scratches (very light) from the outside and then buff the tank. Not bad for a 7' tank (yes it is 18" deep with 16" waterline and 32" wide, but still a large tank lol) to be completed by lunch time. Well 20 minutes form luch, so back to it lol.

600 grit
IMG_7472.jpg

1000 grit
IMG_7473.jpg

2500 grit
IMG_7474.jpg

5000 grit
IMG_7475.jpg

8000 grit
IMG_7476.jpg

12000 grit
IMG_7477.jpg

Great job! Did you install the shades yet?

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job! Did you install the shades yet?
One of them lol. That is on the list today also. I have to hang the shelf, mark where the holes will be for the bolts I am using for the lights, pull it down, drill the holes, use a counter bit so the heads do not stick up, hang shelf, slip on shades, mount lights and then route all wiring to where you cannot see it. Kristy has plans to put all of our really old bottles and other nick nacks on the shelf. Being as the stand is old barn wood with a white wash on it, I think it will look awesome.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so 15k is done. Water needs to clear up now. The front panel made cloiuds all n its own.

Trick 1: run skimmers super wet and be ready to dump them a lot. I added 20 gallons of fresh SW to my sump (100g tub, so had room) this made my skimmers wet without changing them. I did have to adjust them as they pulled out all of the powder and tons of water, but worth it.

Check out this nastyness. The acrylic powder skims out super easy and very quickly. And yes I run 2 skimmers. Heavy in (ammonia dosing) and heavy out.
IMG_7479.JPG

After dumping them.
IMG_7478 2.jpg

And now for the front after 15000 grit. Water still needs to clear, but it is done. Outside of polsihing the outside, but that was not in the original plan. This just went so quick and I had time until 2pm set for this, so even after polishing the outside, will still be ahead.
IMG_7482.jpg

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of them lol. That is on the list today also. I have to hang the shelf, mark where the holes will be for the bolts I am using for the lights, pull it down, drill the holes, use a counter bit so the heads do not stick up, hang shelf, slip on shades, mount lights and then route all wiring to where you cannot see it. Kristy has plans to put all of our really old bottles and other nick nacks on the shelf. Being as the stand is old barn wood with a white wash on it, I think it will look awesome.

Sounds like a plan!

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Tank still not all the way clear, but outside was hit with 2k and it removed the scratches. I then hit it with Novus 2 and my buffer. Novus 1 was done by hand. Once the tank clears, it will be clear lol.

Not bad for half a days worth of work. Even added updates during that time.

@JCOLE no video, as I could not figure out how to set anything up to hold my phone lol. I did just order a stand for it on Amazon, so I can make one when I do the 50g frag tank I have sitting in the garage. I will fill it with water, just so that it shows what to do. I will end up doing the final polish with no water, as it is not setup lol. But that should be easy to walk through and easy to record.

The final product. Just waiting for water to clear and have dumped skimmers 2 times since last posting about them lol.

IMG_7483.jpg

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, time for a sammich and then the below list gets done.

Redo the lights over the 180, remove a few scratches from the awesome sump that sits below it. and do a water change.

I will then be moving all contents of the 32 biocube #2 to the nem tank. It is mostly RFA in there and it is in my sons room, so is now neglected. Not gonna gripe, as he is 17, has a job, plays sports and still has a great GPA. He just does not have time for it now and I forget about it. Plus, it is mostly nems, so whats wrong with putting upwards of a 100 RFA in the nem tnak? It is a nem tank, right?

Will post pics of all of that, since I seem to be able to remember to take them before, during and after for once.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so 15k is done. Water needs to clear up now. The front panel made cloiuds all n its own.

Trick 1: run skimmers super wet and be ready to dump them a lot. I added 20 gallons of fresh SW to my sump (100g tub, so had room) this made my skimmers wet without changing them. I did have to adjust them as they pulled out all of the powder and tons of water, but worth it.

Check out this nastyness. The acrylic powder skims out super easy and very quickly. And yes I run 2 skimmers. Heavy in (ammonia dosing) and heavy out.
IMG_7479.JPG

After dumping them.
IMG_7478 2.jpg

And now for the front after 15000 grit. Water still needs to clear, but it is done. Outside of polsihing the outside, but that was not in the original plan. This just went so quick and I had time until 2pm set for this, so even after polishing the outside, will still be ahead.
IMG_7482.jpg
Thanks, I was going to ask about the waste from the sanding. This covers it. Looking good.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so I forgot the pre-pics.

Imagine this. The 61" aquatic life fixture installed using 4 of the wall mount adjustable arms that they sell. Not the nice clean looking ones, but the old style with the round rods that stick out from the wall plates about 16". Then you have 3 hydra 32s in it. One with a shade installed and 2 with DIY prism for some better blending of the light.

OK, now that you have that. I will change subjects. @Crabby48 knows how long I have been meaning to do this lol. I moved the supprts for my returns to where the thing is actually somewhat level and you cannot see as much of it. The "tee" was very noticeable and now it is not.
IMG_7485.jpg

OK, back on track here. I mounted the lights to the shelf after I went all draw happy to get the lights exactly where I wanted them with the shades installed. I then figured out how far in from the side and how far in from the front of the lights the mounting holes were. From there I made a template that allowed me to mark the board to where the front edge of the shade met the front edge of the shelf. The shelf is not as deep as the tank, as I want to still be able to move rock or add rocks, if needed.

Once the template was correct, traced onto the shelf, the screw holes marked, I drilled holes the exact size as the 10/32 bolts. After that, I used a counter sink bit to where the head of the bolt was recessed. From there, I attached the lights with jam nuts at the shelf and the light.

I then routed all of the cabling for the lights onto the shelf. I used some zip tie feet that are proably 10 or so years old. Maybe older, as I have been out of the field for that long lol. I still has come short wood screws from that time also. They are special order screws used to mount boxes under registers in retail stores. Short enough to not bust through the cheap crap they use for the fixtures, but long enough to bite.

Once all that was done, the shelf brackets were mounted and then the shelf.

The view from the couch no longer blinds anyone. I also removed the prism sheets, as the lights are at 10.5" from the water and with 2 gyres, 2 mp40s and 2 mp10s, the water moves just fine and there is no need to blend the light at that height. Only reason they were so low previously was due to the T5 blinding everyone. T5 not needed at this time, as rock structure is almost dead center of tank and not growing SPS on sand or behind rocks lol.

Par is still 150-180 on sand, 200-260 mid rocks and 250-400 up top. Lights are only at 65%, so still room to move them up if needed. Luckily tank has been without T5s for over a month and lights ramping up over that same time. They still have to get to 75% peak, but that will not happen until end of next week.

Either way, crap ton done today. Still have to move the biocube contents to the nem tank, but Damian is home for easter and has a task for me. He is having a ton of friends over and wants wood for a bonfire. So off to the woods I go to cut some ones laying for a year up.

IMG_7486.jpg

IMG_7487.jpg

IMG_7488.jpg

IMG_7490.jpg

I will snag a full tank, stand and shelf pic once wife gets the shelf how she wants it and I put the stand back together. Until then, have fun. I am off to be a lumberjack lol.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so I forgot the pre-pics.

Imagine this. The 61" aquatic life fixture installed using 4 of the wall mount adjustable arms that they sell. Not the nice clean looking ones, but the old style with the round rods that stick out from the wall plates about 16". Then you have 3 hydra 32s in it. One with a shade installed and 2 with DIY prism for some better blending of the light.

OK, now that you have that. I will change subjects. @Crabby48 knows how long I have been meaning to do this lol. I moved the supprts for my returns to where the thing is actually somewhat level and you cannot see as much of it. The "tee" was very noticeable and now it is not.
IMG_7485.jpg

OK, back on track here. I mounted the lights to the shelf after I went all draw happy to get the lights exactly where I wanted them with the shades installed. I then figured out how far in from the side and how far in from the front of the lights the mounting holes were. From there I made a template that allowed me to mark the board to where the front edge of the shade met the front edge of the shelf. The shelf is not as deep as the tank, as I want to still be able to move rock or add rocks, if needed.

Once the template was correct, traced onto the shelf, the screw holes marked, I drilled holes the exact size as the 10/32 bolts. After that, I used a counter sink bit to where the head of the bolt was recessed. From there, I attached the lights with jam nuts at the shelf and the light.

I then routed all of the cabling for the lights onto the shelf. I used some zip tie feet that are proably 10 or so years old. Maybe older, as I have been out of the field for that long lol. I still has come short wood screws from that time also. They are special order screws used to mount boxes under registers in retail stores. Short enough to not bust through the cheap crap they use for the fixtures, but long enough to bite.

Once all that was done, the shelf brackets were mounted and then the shelf.

The view from the couch no longer blinds anyone. I also removed the prism sheets, as the lights are at 10.5" from the water and with 2 gyres, 2 mp40s and 2 mp10s, the water moves just fine and there is no need to blend the light at that height. Only reason they were so low previously was due to the T5 blinding everyone. T5 not needed at this time, as rock structure is almost dead center of tank and not growing SPS on sand or behind rocks lol.

Par is still 150-180 on sand, 200-260 mid rocks and 250-400 up top. Lights are only at 65%, so still room to move them up if needed. Luckily tank has been without T5s for over a month and lights ramping up over that same time. They still have to get to 75% peak, but that will not happen until end of next week.

Either way, crap ton done today. Still have to move the biocube contents to the nem tank, but Damian is home for easter and has a task for me. He is having a ton of friends over and wants wood for a bonfire. So off to the woods I go to cut some ones laying for a year up.

IMG_7486.jpg

IMG_7487.jpg

IMG_7488.jpg

IMG_7490.jpg

I will snag a full tank, stand and shelf pic once wife gets the shelf how she wants it and I put the stand back together. Until then, have fun. I am off to be a lumberjack lol.
Well aren't you productive today!

Looks great

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back