Possible Divorce Frag Build

Current State:

In process of tearing down all tanks and putting things in tanks in the house.

One tank down and one to go.

IMG_7678.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a *********, but you and everyone else listening to me gripe about it lol.
Also, @TriggerFinger may have heard the griping more lol. Forgot our our PM about setting up returns over the back.

Either way, all the cronies have one less thing to listen to me gripe about lol.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little reefing and being a red neck in one day. Sounds like a perfect Saturday

I’ll listen to you gripe. Full of knowledge. Wasn’t going to say anything thinking it would give you a bigger ego but you new plumbing giving me a push to plumb the Uv closed loop to and from the display. Yes the UV you kindly donated to me
As of now it’s tumbling water in the sump and want to be more efficient running the UV.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As promised, a pic of the 180 all back together. She still has not figured out what to put on the shelf, but she will get there. She is watching the 10th doctor at the moment lol.

The sign on the stand is what she got me a while ago. “Today, I will be happier than a seagull with a French fry”

829499B2-FC06-43D8-859F-E451B131332C.jpeg

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As promised, a pic of the 180 all back together. She still has not figured out what to put on the shelf, but she will get there. She is watching the 10th doctor at the moment lol.

The sign on the stand is what she got me a while ago. “Today, I will be happier than a seagull with a French fry”

829499B2-FC06-43D8-859F-E451B131332C.jpeg

I am glad you and Kristy like them. You are most welcome.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, @TriggerFinger may have heard the griping more lol. Forgot our our PM about setting up returns over the back.

Either way, all the cronies have one less thing to listen to me gripe about lol.
Totally fine. I think I got ya beat 10 fold with repetitive plumbing questions :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doctor Who Blink GIF by Temple Of Geek

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Tank still not all the way clear, but outside was hit with 2k and it removed the scratches. I then hit it with Novus 2 and my buffer. Novus 1 was done by hand. Once the tank clears, it will be clear lol.

Not bad for half a days worth of work. Even added updates during that time.

@JCOLE no video, as I could not figure out how to set anything up to hold my phone lol. I did just order a stand for it on Amazon, so I can make one when I do the 50g frag tank I have sitting in the garage. I will fill it with water, just so that it shows what to do. I will end up doing the final polish with no water, as it is not setup lol. But that should be easy to walk through and easy to record.

The final product. Just waiting for water to clear and have dumped skimmers 2 times since last posting about them lol.

IMG_7483.jpg

Looks good!! I will be reaching out for sure on tips. I have a lot of acrylic coming and I know I will need all the help I can get.

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And this is why I did it.

Sitting at my desk, I can look to the left and have a nice view of the tank. The view was horrible and now I see this. All the way to the back wall and the tank still has dust from moving the sand out of the way floating about. Once the front is done and the cloudyness clears, I may actually enjoy the view again.

IMG_7469.JPG

OK, so I forgot the pre-pics.

Imagine this. The 61" aquatic life fixture installed using 4 of the wall mount adjustable arms that they sell. Not the nice clean looking ones, but the old style with the round rods that stick out from the wall plates about 16". Then you have 3 hydra 32s in it. One with a shade installed and 2 with DIY prism for some better blending of the light.

OK, now that you have that. I will change subjects. @Crabby48 knows how long I have been meaning to do this lol. I moved the supprts for my returns to where the thing is actually somewhat level and you cannot see as much of it. The "tee" was very noticeable and now it is not.
IMG_7485.jpg

OK, back on track here. I mounted the lights to the shelf after I went all draw happy to get the lights exactly where I wanted them with the shades installed. I then figured out how far in from the side and how far in from the front of the lights the mounting holes were. From there I made a template that allowed me to mark the board to where the front edge of the shade met the front edge of the shelf. The shelf is not as deep as the tank, as I want to still be able to move rock or add rocks, if needed.

Once the template was correct, traced onto the shelf, the screw holes marked, I drilled holes the exact size as the 10/32 bolts. After that, I used a counter sink bit to where the head of the bolt was recessed. From there, I attached the lights with jam nuts at the shelf and the light.

I then routed all of the cabling for the lights onto the shelf. I used some zip tie feet that are proably 10 or so years old. Maybe older, as I have been out of the field for that long lol. I still has come short wood screws from that time also. They are special order screws used to mount boxes under registers in retail stores. Short enough to not bust through the cheap crap they use for the fixtures, but long enough to bite.

Once all that was done, the shelf brackets were mounted and then the shelf.

The view from the couch no longer blinds anyone. I also removed the prism sheets, as the lights are at 10.5" from the water and with 2 gyres, 2 mp40s and 2 mp10s, the water moves just fine and there is no need to blend the light at that height. Only reason they were so low previously was due to the T5 blinding everyone. T5 not needed at this time, as rock structure is almost dead center of tank and not growing SPS on sand or behind rocks lol.

Par is still 150-180 on sand, 200-260 mid rocks and 250-400 up top. Lights are only at 65%, so still room to move them up if needed. Luckily tank has been without T5s for over a month and lights ramping up over that same time. They still have to get to 75% peak, but that will not happen until end of next week.

Either way, crap ton done today. Still have to move the biocube contents to the nem tank, but Damian is home for easter and has a task for me. He is having a ton of friends over and wants wood for a bonfire. So off to the woods I go to cut some ones laying for a year up.

IMG_7486.jpg

IMG_7487.jpg

IMG_7488.jpg

IMG_7490.jpg

I will snag a full tank, stand and shelf pic once wife gets the shelf how she wants it and I put the stand back together. Until then, have fun. I am off to be a lumberjack lol.
Wow you were busy, looks great! And to think I talked about doing something yesterday :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow you were busy, looks great! And to think I talked about doing something yesterday :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
I even got the biocube moved to the nem tank. Just no pics yet. Those will be up soon.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
List for today

hang 61” hybrid fixture over mangrove tank

Rearrange nem tank so biocubes old contents look decent.

Get rid of scratches in 180 sump. This will mean a water change as well. Easy enough to remove that sump, throw in my old 40b diy and sand/polish.

Possibly redo apex and wires for 180. Not sure if I have a piece of wood to make a panel for it all.

And then whatever else I find to do lol.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have some painting to do, but the board is up. Center pole slides in and out to hold doors shut. Still have some cables to route and modules to mount, but mostly done.

Made the board/doors out of whiteboard. All numbers are correct outside of the amount dosed. Just put that there to make sure I had enough space to write it all. Got to get into doser programming for those numbers.

Also have cable management behind the door to do.

2524C9AD-751D-4F0C-AFDE-4E0216CEA690.jpeg

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off. The sore arms from sanding the tank are sooo worth it. Much easier to take pics.

Second, looks like the the merten baby split has finally decided to come out and be seen. Only took a little over a week for it to come out.

I love these mertens. In full spectrum they are orange/red with yellow tips. All blue, they are bright fire orange with gold tips.

Momma is about 18" and baby/clone is about 6-8". Not really sure as it has not laid all the way out yet.

IMG_7509.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 66 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back