Possible Divorce Frag Build

Current State:

In process of tearing down all tanks and putting things in tanks in the house.

One tank down and one to go.

IMG_7678.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, since I haven’t updated any of my build threads, this is going to hopefully kick that back into gear.

Ended up buying a frag tank from @dantimdad, as my tanks are full. Well overfull actually.

Got home and Kristy about lost it. She said no more fish tanks. Well this isn’t a fish tank, right? Frag tank is different, I think?

Tank is a glass cages custom frag tank.
measures 84”x30”x12”. Was 12” before I removed the top euro bracing. Now 11.5”. Luckily Stephen already started on doing that, but was still a bear to do. No pics of that sadly. Sorry. I figure will be about 110-120 gallons when the sump is factored in.

Another person is partially responsible for this as well. @Katrina71 has some things sitting in my tanks for her cube, but it isn’t up yet and the stuff is growing lol.

Tank has been leak tested and no leaks. Also not a bit of bowing, even with some old mp60s maxes out making a wave a surfer mouse could ride.

So far I have the overflow built. I hate acrylic. Used a table saw and then polished the edges. All those little acrylic bullets are as bad as welding slang hitting you lol.

Now for the tank.

And the overflow. It will be painted black, as will the backside of the tank. Not the prettiest, but will work. Even has the bottom notched for the bracing on the bottom of the tank.

Equipment will be as follows. All of it is stuff I have laying around. So far the tank and bulkheads are the only costs.

Return pump: Simplicity DC3200
Wave makers: 2x Gyre 3ks and some old jaebo dc power heads
Skimmer: Reef Octo 150 classic. If it is even needed.
Heaters: some old Eheim 300w controlled by an ink bird.
Sump: 33 gallon tank with diy baffles.
ATO: diy with something like a tote for a reservoir.
Lights: will be a mix of LED, T5 and halides. Possibly not the halides, just depends. I plan to section the tank off and adjust par accordingly for what goes where.
Dosing: my spare kamoer f4 pro when the time comes.
Frag racks: cheap light diffuser built accordingly.

The tank will have sand in a section and be bare bottom in another. I plan to cut a strip of acrylic to section the bottom off. Sand will be on the far end of the tank. That end is planned to be lower flow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty. Got the back glass painted and the overflow box painted.

playing with the plumbing, but still not sure about it. I may end up going with a Fiji Cube overflow box, as I have 3 already and love them. I think the deciding factor will be if the holes line up.

Just not happy with table saw weir teeth lol.

The plan now for the plumbing is to use 1.5 inch drains. One full siphon with a cable to adjust and one emergency. Not gonna be flowing anywhere near that much water, but ohh well. Coming up to the 3/4 returns, I plan to use a compression tee (love those things) that goes from 3/4” on the ends and then 1” on the input. Soft line for the return of 1”, as that will push plenty of water for a frag tank. All piping will be supported by the stand when done.

Next up will be the stand. Haven’t quite decided where in the fish barn it will go or if it will go in the fish room. But, you don’t need somewhere to put it when mocking everything up lol.

8E929DB3-6144-4460-9433-B2F7CAD65ADB.jpeg

DBB1C461-0EFF-4840-920F-CBCCCC335BC7.jpeg

FE5DEB9D-4A82-45AD-9BBC-CB913571C6E1.jpeg

2E16FF1C-2F63-4D81-BC48-DFC282E02D01.jpeg

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, excuse the mess. Doing this in my little mini barn for the mowers and such, as there is no room in the garage or in the fish barn.

Built a stand for it. Just a basic 2x4 stand. No shift or wobble, but is still going to be wrapped on 3 sides with 3/4” oak plywood. This should stiffen it up even more. Still have to get the plywood for that, the top and the sump area.

Also did the plumbing and realized I forgot a union for the emergency drain lol. At least that is super simple to add.

Changed up the return piping as well. Used a tee and 3 unions, instead of the compression tee. Had them in a drawer, so why not? Also used an old check valve I had. Tested it and it worked. I will also have siphon holes drilled into the lock line at a hair below water height. Better safe then sorry.

The return piping is some 1” spa flex I had, which will work out nice and allow me to use the simplicity pump with the adaptor that is on it. I figure with only as little head pressure as this will have and it being the biggest one they make, 30% should be enough for a frag tank. Most of the flow will be from the gyres.

OK, now for some pics.

again, ignore the mess lol. And yes, I used a foam cooler to mock up the piping lol. Same width as a 33 gallon, but slightly shorter. Worked great and is easier to move than a glass tank.

E1EF3F41-1369-4132-8489-B6541320AA23.jpeg
0A00EEEC-A0D0-4968-B6AE-E8540A9D0F73.jpeg

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sweet ,caught this one near the beginning ,looking good :cool:
Hope to leak test Friday, move it into the fish barn Saturday and fill it up. Shouldn’t have a cycle as I have loads of rock in tubs just cooking with an old photon v1 over it so some algae grows. Clean up crew is even in the tub lol. Plan is for tiered sump. Water drains to a Rubbermaid tub with rock in it. No light over tub once it is in the stand, then to the 33 gallon tank with a big fuge and slot for a skimmer if it is needed. Still debating how I want to do it lol. So many things just laying around that can be used.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a dream frag tank. So much space.
Exactly why I took the chance with the wife lol. Rain and auto repairs on a family members truck has killed my time to work on it this weekend.

Hope to get it up soon lol. Tanks are full and need somewhere to put frags.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have wood!!!!!! Hopefully I can find some time today to finish the stand and start cleaning out the fish barn. I also got some unions lol. That one drain and me forgetting about it is funny.

3x 5/16” sheets of birch
2x 3/4” sheets of regular plywood

got to seal the 3/4” and stain the birch. Well paint the back side and stain the front side of the birch.

Thinking of doing an aged look, so if it ever moves inside, it will match the rest of the stuff lol.

A190DBDA-17D1-47DC-890F-2A2441D83768.jpeg

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally water testing the tank. I know it doesn’t leak, but want to see how much, if any, the glass reflects on the sides. Just peace of mind for me de-rimming it. 100 gallons is never good all over a floor lol.

4AD256B8-87D4-45A1-8602-63F2DEA6C611.jpeg

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag 18 pump and a gyre 1k for some wave action. Actual deflection is none. At least not able to be measured with a tape that has it down to 1/64ths on it. Good enough for me.

Now time to finish the stand and get the fish barn cleaned out.

F5E4C4A4-CCF5-47FD-AB1F-895B7424B08F.jpeg

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll say it again: I wish I could have kept it!
And I will say this again, you will get frags from it. I have to have it up this weekend for sure. The 180, 220, 90 and 14 bio cube are full lol. Got to make room for another ritteri and a merten lol.

Also, stand has first coat of paint on it, so making good progress.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.3%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 17.7%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 100 49.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back