OP
OP
R

Risk1994

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DT has been filled with SW for a while. Been using the QT period to tweak my plumbing and pretty up my wiring.

Im getting really tired of maintaining 3 tanks. I just want to dump the fish in my DT and get on with my life.

I never understood you guys who run 10 tanks in your house and complain about wanting more. One is enough for me.

OP
OP
R

Risk1994

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wires, my God the wires! How do you people manage this???

I dont even have my lights on it yet...so MORE wires.

20210421_081410 (Medium).jpg

20210421_081415 (Medium).jpg

kiet_kat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat but with an even smaller cabinet (reefer 250). Going to accept that everything isnt going to fit under the stand and get a separate cabinet for the electronics.

OP
OP
R

Risk1994

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat but with an even smaller cabinet (reefer 250). Going to accept that everything isnt going to fit under the stand and get a separate cabinet for the electronics.
Im not going to surrender just yet!

My plan is to extend that apex board all the way to the bottom and let the wires be messy behind it. I plan to get an apex trident (and reservoir's for alk/cal) which will require a cutout, but better that than looking at all these ugly wires.

OP
OP
R

Risk1994

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, tried this again. I had the bottom of Apex board open as I planned to put in a Neptune trident down the road. Being open at the bottom made it look horrible though...

Turns out the trident will fit even if the board goes all the way to the bottom. So here we go....

Set door on a pin hinge and magnetic push latch so It can be opened/removed easily.

20210428_130110 (Medium).jpg 20210428_125954 (Medium).jpg
The stupid MP40 driver cant be separated from the motor, so I cant hide that wire....dumb setup. Ruins the whole look.

20210428_130015 (Medium).jpg Hidden UV sterilizer! Full sized pentair 25w.
20210428_130134 (Medium).jpg

Attachments

• 20210428_130142 (Medium).jpg
    20210428_130142 (Medium).jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 45

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wires look great! I’m trying to figure the same thing out for my new tank currently.

OP
OP
R

Risk1994

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wires look great! I’m trying to figure the same thing out for my new tank currently.
Hey! I've got a youtube celebrity commenting on my build...I have arrived!

Thanks for the kind words, been reading through your dream thread as well. BTW love your kitchen!

ctopherl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after a bunch of reading and phone calls I decided on the following solution for ATO....

Got an Apex LDK (leak detection kit) and a couple of optical sensors. With this the apex can monitor Sump levels. For the pump I got an Avast diaphram pump. From what I've read this should be able to pull a prime up from the basement and run dry is not an issue. This way I need NO cables going to the basement, just the RO tubing. Also it comes with some leak sensors I can put around the display. I got the one with the Apex 12VDC so dont need to use an outlet for a cleaner install.

If it turns out it needs to go in the basement I can move the FMM down there and daisy chain it to the DOS.

Sorry I'm late :) can you explain this setup a bit more? I've been wondering this myself. How is using that pump to top off automatically possible without running any cables to the basement? What tells the pump when to turn on?

I'm assuming you have some optical level sensors to indicate to apex when the water gets too low and needs to be refilled, and also when it is full and the filling can stop.

Like you mentioned I'm assuming this is possible getting the pump hooked up to the apex to trigger it on/off depending on which sensor is triggered, but it sounds like you've avoided this.

ctopherl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the look of this scape. If you had to do it again, what would you recommend using for supplies?

Still the marco rock? I'm assuming you had to break it up a bit?

What specific glue/cementing products?

OP
OP
R

Risk1994

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I'm late :) can you explain this setup a bit more? I've been wondering this myself. How is using that pump to top off automatically possible without running any cables to the basement? What tells the pump when to turn on?

Like you mentioned I'm assuming this is possible getting the pump hooked up to the apex to trigger it on/off depending on which sensor is triggered, but it sounds like you've avoided this.
So I used 2 of these...(one for high level, one for low) 210838-os-1m-optical-sensor-with-mount-neptune-systems (Small).jpg
they're in the return chamber in my sump.

connected to this... 210684-fmm-fluid-metering-module-neptune-systems (Small).jpg

This is in my cabinet under the fish tank. Its plugged into the EB832. The Apex senses low level and turn it on. This little pump pulls water through like 40ft of tubing up from the basement. Been working flawlessly for a month. I also have another of those sensors at the top of the tank to check for overflows and a few leak sensors under the tank. I actually have 2 of these FMM's. So I can sleep at night.

diapump_d5cb2a4e-02d4-4509-b049-9f68b7e9ee32_grande (Small).jpg

Next you'll want to know the Apex programming. I have it working but don't want to share my hack job at apex programming. I want to get it to only run during certain windows and limit the runtime but haven't been able to figure any of it out yet. Going to need to set aside awhile to figure out all this programming.

Hope this helps, let me know what you wind up doing, I put a lot of thought into this method. Didnt wind up doing apex due to cost and bad stories about the pmup.

OP
OP
R

Risk1994

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the look of this scape. If you had to do it again, what would you recommend using for supplies?

Still the marco rock? I'm assuming you had to break it up a bit?

What specific glue/cementing products?

Everything you need is in this video. I used quite a bit of Marco Rock along with just a couple of the foundation peices to use as a base. I did a LOT of breaking rocks up. I bought the hammer and chisel you see in the video also. Regular hammer and wood chisels will NOT work.

Its amazing how well the glue and rapid set works. I built up and broke down several times. I placed the whole thing on a cardboard template of the tank for scale.

It's a fun but time consuming process. Im still not totally happy with it, concerned its not enough rock or hiding spaces. The plan is to fill up space with corals though, so well have to see how that goes.

ctopherl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I used 2 of these...(one for high level, one for low) 210838-os-1m-optical-sensor-with-mount-neptune-systems (Small).jpg
they're in the return chamber in my sump.

connected to this... 210684-fmm-fluid-metering-module-neptune-systems (Small).jpg

This is in my cabinet under the fish tank. Its plugged into the EB832. The Apex senses low level and turn it on. This little pump pulls water through like 40ft of tubing up from the basement. Been working flawlessly for a month. I also have another of those sensors at the top of the tank to check for overflows and a few leak sensors under the tank. I actually have 2 of these FMM's. So I can sleep at night.

diapump_d5cb2a4e-02d4-4509-b049-9f68b7e9ee32_grande (Small).jpg

Next you'll want to know the Apex programming. I have it working but don't want to share my hack job at apex programming. I want to get it to only run during certain windows and limit the runtime but haven't been able to figure any of it out yet. Going to need to set aside awhile to figure out all this programming.

Hope this helps, let me know what you wind up doing, I put a lot of thought into this method. Didnt wind up doing apex due to cost and bad stories about the pmup.
Wait, are you saying the diaphragm pump is located next to your tank, and it pulls water from a reservoir in the basement? Just through a plain RO line? Or is the pump itself in the basement with your water supply?

OP
OP
R

Risk1994

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, are you saying the diaphragm pump is located next to your tank, and it pulls water from a reservoir in the basement? Just through a plain RO line? Or is the pump itself in the basement with your water supply?
Yessir. It sits directly under the tank and pulls water all the way from basement. Works so well I bought a second one to top off my QT tank.

See pic....

20210428_130142 (Medium) (1).jpg

ctopherl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yessir. It sits directly under the tank and pulls water all the way from basement. Works so well I bought a second one to top off my QT tank.

See pic....

20210428_130142 (Medium) (1).jpg
Wow impressive I may have to try this! Thanks for the info!

OP
OP
R

Risk1994

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So been a month, no lights, fish doing great, just starting to see algae...funny with no lights or direct sunlight.

Also got my new babies in QT...

20210706_155252 (Medium).jpg 20210706_155312 (Medium).jpg
20210706_164529.jpg

ctopherl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So been a month, no lights, fish doing great, just starting to see algae...funny with no lights or direct sunlight.

Also got my new babies in QT...

20210706_155252 (Medium).jpg 20210706_155312 (Medium).jpg
20210706_164529.jpg
How big of a QT are you using? Any issues with aggression?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back