Another sick powder blue tang

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I noticed my powder blue was just hanging out in the corner of the tank and wasn't really swimming around much. I put some nori in and he picked at it a little, but moved away when any of the other fish went to the clip. This morning, he was laying on the rocks in the same corner. This tank went through a fallow period of over a 100 days. All original fish were treated with therapeutic copper safe (2 rounds) and 2 rounds of general cure. The powder blue was purchased from tsm aquatics who quarantines and treats all their fish. No other fish is showing symptoms, including my hippo tang. I feed pellets through an autofeeder twice a day, a full sheet of nori soaked in kent marine zoe daily, and mysis soaked in selcon three times a week. I've attached a video so you can see what he looks like. Sorry for the dirty glass.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when you made the purchase, you placed it right into the display because the seller quarantines for you? Also, was that video taken when the lights were out?

deepblue68

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just give it some time if not showing any symptoms tangs can get easily stressed at times and may take a few days to settle in and get use to its tankmates. Any aggression from other tankmates?

OP
OP
D

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention, this tang was purchased about 6 weeks ago. He was totally fine until yesterday. No aggression between any of the tangs at all. And yes, tsm has a great reputation of fully quarantining fish. I've lost powder blues in quarantine before so I didn't want to take the chance. Also, I had to add all my tangs at the same time when my fallow period ended.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I noticed my powder blue was just hanging out in the corner of the tank and wasn't really swimming around much. I put some nori in and he picked at it a little, but moved away when any of the other fish went to the clip. This morning, he was laying on the rocks in the same corner. This tank went through a fallow period of over a 100 days. All original fish were treated with therapeutic copper safe (2 rounds) and 2 rounds of general cure. The powder blue was purchased from tsm aquatics who quarantines and treats all their fish. No other fish is showing symptoms, including my hippo tang. I feed pellets through an autofeeder twice a day, a full sheet of nori soaked in kent marine zoe daily, and mysis soaked in selcon three times a week. I've attached a video so you can see what he looks like. Sorry for the dirty glass.

The PBT is breathing normally, but it is emaciated and has a swelling at the back of its abdomen. To me, that implies an internal blockage or infection, and that isn’t something that any quarantine process can prevent. It is unlikely to be contagious, but also unlikely to resolve.
Jay

OP
OP
D

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The PBT is breathing normally, but it is emaciated and has a swelling at the back of its abdomen. To me, that implies an internal blockage or infection, and that isn’t something that any quarantine process can prevent. It is unlikely to be contagious, but also unlikely to resolve.
Jay
Thank you so much for your help Jay. I don't seem to have much luck with these PBTs. So there's nothing I can do to help? Do you think some antibiotics would help at all?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you so much for your help Jay. I don't seem to have much luck with these PBTs. So there's nothing I can do to help? Do you think some antibiotics would help at all?
Prazi pro or Kanamyacin may help with internal issue but I say .......MAY

rirun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
I haven’t tried it but have you checked out using an epson salt bath to relieve constipation in a fish?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t tried it but have you checked out using an epson salt bath to relieve constipation in a fish?
Just to clarify. Epsom salts are only useful in marine fish orally. It is a freshwater treatment that got misapplied to marine...magnesium sulfate is the fourth highest salt in our seawater mixes, adding a little more to the water has no more affect than raising the salinity by a small amount.
Jay

OP
OP
D

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right after I took that video he went behind the rockwork and hasn't come out since. My wife is home now and says she can't find him
If he's still alive, he's probably laying down between the rocks somewhere. If by some miracle he's still alive by the time I get home tonight, how do I give him epsom salt orally? Should I soak some nori in it?

rirun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify. Epsom salts are only useful in marine fish orally. It is a freshwater treatment that got misapplied to marine...magnesium sulfate is the fourth highest salt in our seawater mixes, adding a little more to the water has no more affect than raising the salinity by a small amount.
Jay
good to know. since the op mentioned it took a couple of bites of food with it be worth trying it orally or feeding it some peas?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps, but the pea idea is from fancy goldfish and has just been extrapolated over to marine fish as well.
Yes - Epsom salt bound into the food or in Focus at 3% by weight can also help.
Jay

rirun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right after I took that video he went behind the rockwork and hasn't come out since. My wife is home now and says she can't find him
If he's still alive, he's probably laying down between the rocks somewhere. If by some miracle he's still alive by the time I get home tonight, how do I give him epsom salt orally? Should I soak some nori in it?
Any update on your PBT?

OP
OP
D

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By some miracle he's still alive! Had to tear apart the third of my tank to get them out from between the rocks. I thought I was recovering a body. I didn't expect him to still be alive

Attachments

• 20201202_203211.jpg
    20201202_203211.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 20201202_203144.jpg
    20201202_203144.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 64
OP
OP
D

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tail is tattered, abdomen is very swollen, but he doesn't appear to be breathing fast. He feels very frail when I picked him up. I have him in a magnesium sulfate bath now. Hoping that'll kick start something. I'm going to put him in an acclimation box in the DT for the night. I'll start soaking food in epsom salt for him but I don't think he's going to eat much at this point.

Jay, do you think a freshwater dip would help at all or is he too far gone? Would it even do anything for internal parasites if that's what's causing this?

OP
OP
D

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DrMMI - any updates? Hoping for good news
Unfortunately he didn't survive the night. I think he was too far gone. In retrospect, I guess I had noticed the swelling in his stomach days before but I just thought he was a little skinny and I was just seeing him after a big meal. I never thought that there was some kind of blockage because he was otherwise acting normal. I'm taking a break from powder blues for a while. I don't seem to have any luck with this fish.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back