Another skimmer question

  • Thread starter Thread starter rbillings
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

rbillings

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 28, 2014
Messages
18
Reaction score
2
Location
nw cape coral fl
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 acrylic display with a 40 gallon sump. I have no room for an in sump skimmer. I can put an hob on my sump or an external in the stand. Never used a external. My question is what should I do.
 
Oh my with a 125 you are limited for a skimmer without sump room.
hob's are good but limiting
 
I run an external, that would be your best bet if you have limited room.

The biggest issues is that most will require an additional pump to feed them, and a bit more plumbing but outside of that I see no reason it would not work for you if you go that route.
 
Yes. I bought the tank used and didn't realize they added a 3/4 piece of wood in bottom of stand so I have less than 23" of height
 
It will work no question about that at all.
with external skimmers (I have used many of them) the issue is the pump, body size, neck size.
in have had more seized rotors just due to the fact of heat.
I ran a nac5e for the longest time. Just troublesome.
how is your 40g sump set up?
I have a helix 5000 in the first 3rd of my 40
 
I could rearrange my sump to fit the foot print but the height is what concerns me. I'd also like to buy one larger than I need cause I plan to upgrade to larger tank in the future
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 29.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new