Another sponge question

alexkharden

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 11, 2016
Messages
212
Reaction score
46
Location
Evansville, IN
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a bunch of different sponges on my rocks, and most of them seem to be doing ok, but there's a couple that look...weird. The majority of them are smooth, but these look different. Are they even sponges? Some kind of coral? An egg sack of some kind? I don't know, but I'd like to learn. Pictures below.

aa7969800d90e8d813405e6c2da10ba3.jpg


ba40197ee68238331dd8a5f2a67eadcb.jpg



15582487312103797d1602732caa8d28.jpg
 
You have tunicates in the first two.
 
I'm actually not sure! You'll have to tell me what happens :) I've never heard of that happening, but maybe others can chime in on that.

Is there a skeleton under there when you touch it an make it draw in? It reminds me of a colonial cup coral. It's definitely some type of polyp, as I can see the mouth.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 18 20.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 8.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new